Law School Discussion

Albany Law School

Lipper316

Albany Law School
« on: March 29, 2004, 07:49:29 AM »
Hello All!!

Pretty new to this bored. Just wondering what is the general consensus in regard to Albany Law School. I was just accepted, although do not want to practice in that area. I understand that if one doesn't go to a "top notch" school, they are usually bound to the geographic area they go to school. Any thoughts? Any idea how they place in the NYC area (not just Manhattan, but Westchester, Rockland, Putnam counties as well).

My numbers - 3.32 and 150

Accepted:
Albany

Rejected:
Pace
Cardozo
NY Law
St. Johns
Seton Hall

Pending:
CUNY Queens
Quinnipiac
Syracuse
Touro (I hear this is not such a great school)

Waitlisted:
Hofstra

Re: Albany Law School
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 01:42:02 AM »
Hi There!!

I was accepted to Albany too!

I was wondering if I could speak with you regarding the law school?

Hope all is well.

Lisa

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 06:37:24 AM »
Lipper,

I heard that a good percentage of people who go to Albany get jobs in NYC. I can not remember the exact number, someone from Albany law school posted the stat though. I have been accepted into the AAMPLE program at Albany, so I have been doing a lot of reserach on the school, and I like what I have seen thus far. They have a solid career placement office, a lot of employers come to the school to recruit.

Good luck with your decision :)

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 02:25:06 PM »
Lipper, when did you recieve your letter, I have been waiting to hear from them and I have your same stats....

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 07:13:03 PM »
Hi There!!

Hope all is well.

Lisa

yeah, im lipper316, i deleted my account by accident a couple of months ago, so this is my new name.
Lisa - feel free to PM any questions u have, im a 1L at albany now.

pcfordham - this post was from LAST march, but i heard from them in late march. im sure ur acceptance is coming soon.

any of u guys planning on going to the open house next weekend?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 07:19:23 PM »
Hi There!!

Hope all is well.

Lisa

yeah, im lipper316, i deleted my account by accident a couple of months ago, so this is my new name.
Lisa - feel free to PM any questions u have, im a 1L at albany now.

pcfordham - this post was from LAST march, but i heard from them in late march. im sure ur acceptance is coming soon.

any of u guys planning on going to the open house next weekend?

I was accepted Saturday and will be heading up for a visit next week. Tell me about the city...how's cost of living? I don't want anything opulent, in fact, are there any trailer parks? What do you do for fun (when you have time)? How's competition? Curve? Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 07:53:59 PM »
Hey!

I am going to the open house next weekend!

My IM is sunyeo78

: )

LaneSwerver

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 07:55:21 PM »
Hey!

My IM is sunyeo78

I can't make it to the open house 'cause I'll be down the road at the Pierce open house. I'm going on Monday. :(

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 08:29:01 PM »
Hey!

My IM is sunyeo78

I can't make it to the open house 'cause I'll be down the road at the Pierce open house. I'm going on Monday. :(

I grew up an hour from Albany. I love the Northeast, and Albany is classic Northeast.  And they have an awesome Hooters!  Best ever chicken sandwhich served by the nicest waitresses.  (and I usually think Hooters is lame).  But I digress..

I visited the law school after being accepted.  Honestly, it's a great place.  I've seen evidence that if you do well there you can certainly make it into NYC BigLaw - even for summer placement.  Obviously you'd need to do very well.  That being said, Albany is also the state capitol to one of the largest economies in the US.  New York state itself guarentees there will always be a legal market in Albany - not huge, but certainly enough to support the ONLY law school in that Capitol.  Frankly I think you could have an awesome life as an attorney at a mid-size firm in Albany.  70K a year would give you the lifestyle of 150K in NYC, with no traffic, but again, it is the state capitol of one of the largest US economies.  Add low cost of living (relatively, for NE) low traffic, laid back lifestyle, and suprisingly nice facilities, you could do a lot worse than Albany.  Honestly, part of me wants to scrap a T1 or high T2 that I have and take Albany.  Somethings keeping me from doing that, but there is a huge part of me that's jealous.  I just really like that part of the country.  Maybe too much time in big cities, I don't know?

For the top poster who just got in, honestly with your numbers Albany is a great choice for you.  150 probably won't take you much higher up the ranks, but your experience at Albany won't be second rate at all from what i can tell (frankly their facilities make Villanova just look sad!).

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 09:16:23 AM »
THANK YOU!!!!!! I was a bit torn about my decision but hearing so many positive things about Albany has really helped. I'm doing a lot of my research online be(cause I can't really be there until D-day. I'm digging hard for dirt and negative things about the school to brace myself but have not found ANYTHING. things are looking good. I had read somewhere that it's a really competitive school. That's kind of a turn-off but it's nothing I can't deal with I guess. I do have some concerns about social life there though, I'll be going there totally alone. Family and friends in other countries. Is there a friendly atmosphere?  So many questions and only a few more months to go. eek!