Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: logged problem  (Read 6072 times)

jgomez

Re: logged problem
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 02:00:39 PM »
It's a problem with the individual's computer.

Dude, I've been here three months, and this is the first time I've had problems with this board ... so lay off ... I'm just trying to help Andrew out ...

user error probably.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 02:24:12 PM »

Is it?  I hope it is, because then I don't have to fix anything.  I have actually gotten this error before, but it was on an older version of the site - and it was only happening on one of my computers - which of course suggests that it is a user-level issue.  I was actually getting a similar error on Amazon.com last night.

I'm still checking into it, but if anyone has anything to add I'd appreciate it.  And if it is a user issue - how can people fix it?

jgomez

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 03:04:32 PM »
From a developer's point of view, we set all our sessions globally, so there's no way something would only affect one group of people and not the other. If there was something wrong, then every user would be affected, not just several unless it was related to only those several people's individual computer, whether it's corrupted cache, incorrect browser settings, firewall, virus checker, etc. 

The only way to prove it is if one of these individual people log into their friends computer and they will see that it won't happen there.  But for the small chance that it does, then it's some corrupted session information stored on the server side.

Good luck. 

Is it?  I hope it is, because then I don't have to fix anything.  I have actually gotten this error before, but it was on an older version of the site - and it was only happening on one of my computers - which of course suggests that it is a user-level issue.  I was actually getting a similar error on Amazon.com last night.

I'm still checking into it, but if anyone has anything to add I'd appreciate it.  And if it is a user issue - how can people fix it?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 03:09:03 PM »
i have that same problem.  it just started yesterday for me, and i had the problem at work and at home (2 different computers).  haven't had the problem while trying to post today (though i did yesterday), but when i came to work this morning, i was logged off, even though i'm usually always logged on.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

jgomez

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 03:11:17 PM »
Does it happen if you create another ID?

i have that same problem.  it just started yesterday for me, and i had the problem at work and at home (2 different computers).  haven't had the problem while trying to post today (though i did yesterday), but when i came to work this morning, i was logged off, even though i'm usually always logged on.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 03:12:54 PM »
::shrug:: 
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

lexylit

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 03:18:30 PM »
i'm having the same problem yesterday and today, but only sometimes. i don't have to post, i just click on a thread and suddenly i go from being lexylit to guest.

buster

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 03:25:18 PM »
that's what's been happening to me -- lexy explained it better than I did

i'm having the same problem yesterday and today, but only sometimes. i don't have to post, i just click on a thread and suddenly i go from being lexylit to guest.

superiorlobe

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 03:45:57 PM »
I have had this problem several times too.  It will all of a sudden log me out even though I had set the session for 600 minutes and have only been on less than an hour.  I assumed it was somthing to do with my cookie settings.  I play with them a lot, but I don't play with them as often as this error occurs.  Could this have anything to do with the new security stuff included with XP service pack 2?  Also, I get a "Cannot find the server" error message several times a day.  Usually I click on a link and the browser sits there and thinks for a long long time, then I get the standard error message saying the server could not be located.  I hit refresh and everything works fine.

I also find the board a bit slow from time to time, and I am accessing it on a super fast connection on which I have experienced download speeds of over 3MB/sec.  I think the usage level on the board is a strain for your server.  My suggestion is that 20 of us agree to chip in $20 each so that Andrew can afford to host on a bigger, faster, dedicated server.  Actually, we might have to get 30 people to contribute $30 each... just a thought.

buster

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 03:58:38 PM »
Count me in, although judging by the absence of any sort of tip jar (that I can find, anyway) I suspect that's not Andrew's preference.

My suggestion is that 20 of us agree to chip in $20 each so that Andrew can afford to host on a bigger, faster, dedicated server.  Actually, we might have to get 30 people to contribute $30 each... just a thought.