Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Petition? Affect/Effect Question (10-2 LSAT)  (Read 5186 times)

fineprint

• let dawgs bite
    • View Profile
Re: Petition? Affect/Effect Question (10-2 LSAT)
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2004, 07:44:09 AM »
8 years ago, when I was taking SAT,I thought it was going to be my last standardized test.
waitlist waitlist waitlist waitlist

Hurley97

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2004, 07:45:44 PM »
That's funny.  I thought the same thing.  Now, we have the LSAT, and we will also have the BAR exam afterwards!  Plus, if we ever decide to attend an evening program for business school when we start working, we will need to take the GMAT.

I know that there are also some certification programs available to lawyers in some states, so we'll have to factor them in as well.

Crazy, huh?

I'm not sure what this has to do with our pending petition, but it was good to reflect on it nonetheless.   ;D

labyrinths

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2004, 12:41:03 AM »
I just did a search for each instance of "effect" and "affect" in our newly received disclosure books.  I found no misuse.  Maybe someone who noticed it the first time around can clear up which question it was?

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2004, 01:26:30 AM »
I think that everyone went psycho over section B, question 1. The question read as follows:

The tidal range at a particular location is the difference in height between high tide and low tide. Tidal studies have shown that one of the greatest tidal ranges in the worl is found in the Bay of Fundy and reaches more than seventeen meters. Since the only forces involved in inducing the tides are the sun's and moon's gravity, the magnitudes of tidal ranges also must be explained entirely by gravitational forces.

The answer choice that was the topic of this whole affect/effect reads as follows:

Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning above?

B) It fails to consider that the size of a tidal range could be affected by the conditions in which gravitational forces act.

This was the correct answer. I am not an English major, so I have no idea if this is proper usage or not. I don't really care either.

I still got it wrong anyway. For some reason I put D.
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2004, 01:35:45 AM »
^

I'm not an English major either, but that use of affect is legit. If there was an affect/effect error, it must be elsewhere. Too bad; I could use the point. 170 looks so much cooler than 169.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2004, 12:26:57 PM »
I got lucky on this one.  The question was a gimme for me... I specifically remember it because I've actually visited the BAY OF FUNDY in Nova Scotia.

I could immediately relate to the question because the Bay has huge tidal shifts due to it's LONG conical shape.  As the Bay narrows, the amount of water being forced into the narrowing passage causes the 40ft+ tidal shift.

I really didn't pay attention to the usage or misusage of the affect/effect wording.  I just looked for the answer that I knew to be true.

I suspect that many LSAT takers run across questions where personal knowledge of a subject helps narrow the choices in a question.

I guess this one helps make up for that D*MN nerve-growth RC passage!!

I think that everyone went psycho over section B, question 1. The question read as follows:

The tidal range at a particular location is the difference in height between high tide and low tide. Tidal studies have shown that one of the greatest tidal ranges in the worl is found in the Bay of Fundy and reaches more than seventeen meters. Since the only forces involved in inducing the tides are the sun's and moon's gravity, the magnitudes of tidal ranges also must be explained entirely by gravitational forces.

The answer choice that was the topic of this whole affect/effect reads as follows:

Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning above?

B) It fails to consider that the size of a tidal range could be affected by the conditions in which gravitational forces act.