Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with Personal Statements  (Read 1702 times)

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
Help with Personal Statements
« on: October 18, 2004, 07:55:07 PM »
How much did you guys tailor your PSs to individual schools? How did everyone handle bloody Osgoode's nonsensical statements that are 1/4 the length of others?

Finally, would anyone be willing to read over something I've been thinking of using as my PS? I wrote it pretty quickly, and it's way too long for Osgoode, but I could use it for the rest. If anyone could help me with it I'd really appreciate it.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Personal Statements
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:00:41 PM »
I used a couple of essays that I wrote for a few other apps (I think cornell and Umich) for my osgoode essays.  They sucked though.

My PS is completely general and not tailored at all to any schools.  It really wasn't about 'law school' and I felt that throwing in a school's name would be cheesy.

Anyways, I'll look at it for sure: kngstyles@hotmail.com

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 11:07:39 PM »
Cheeks, I just sent it to you, thanks a lot man. As I said in the email, it's a bit short right now. Anyone else who can help I would really appreciate it.

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:11:23 AM »
i tailored mine for schools where i thought it was relevant.  for instance, a lot of strengths that UBC has are things that i am passionate about, so it seemed natural.  whereas at OZ, there is absolutely nothing that i could say about that school that would sound sincere.  if you can try to tie it in, i think it would be great.  plus, it shows that you have taken the time to research the school and are genuinely interested in something unique about its program.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:27:07 PM »
Cheeks did you get that PS?

Since mine is a bit short maybe I'll try tailoring it to the schools to make up the room. That however, just brings up questions of what each Canaian school is famed for. Beyond that, the Osgood PS is way too short...

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:17:05 PM »
yeah, i got it.  I'll try and have to back to you tonight or tomorrow.  I just finished a midterm.  blah!

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 05:14:56 PM »
Praetor, I read your personal statement. 

Unfortunately, I have midterms on Mon., Tues., and Wed. of next week so I won't be able to get it back to you before about thursday.  (I also turned down a date this weekend with this super hot chick UGH anyways)...If you want, I can give you a general opinion before then ... sorry man.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 05:54:40 PM »
Thanks Cheeks.

If you have time to give me some initial houghts that would be sweat. If not I can wait until Thursday.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 05:56:19 PM »
Sure, I'll PM.

Gelli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 11:24:40 PM »
How much did you guys tailor your PSs to individual schools? How did everyone handle bloody Osgoode's nonsensical statements that are 1/4 the length of others?

Finally, would anyone be willing to read over something I've been thinking of using as my PS? I wrote it pretty quickly, and it's way too long for Osgoode, but I could use it for the rest. If anyone could help me with it I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Praetor,

I actually finished my osgoode PS last week and finally sent it in. If you need any more opinions, I'll take a look at it for you. Email me: e_a1895@yahoo.ca