Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: low gpa options  (Read 4118 times)

girlykick

• View Profile
Re: low gpa options
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 10:40:01 PM »

Savannah Sweet, do you mind posting your stats? I have a 3.3 and 168..

lazybum

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 10:50:52 PM »
It's at the bottom of my signature... 3.0/163, 171

desi

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 11:43:32 PM »
which schools dont care about a 3.3 gpa??? assuming i have around a 165 lsat

i'm at Emory.  3.13 LSAC gpa and 164.

HTH

economyte

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 11:59:26 AM »

Savannah Sweet, do you mind posting your stats? I have a 3.3 and 168..

girly kick, where are you applying? i have similar state, 3.22/168 and 2 years of WE. 

DeterminedSlacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 10:37:22 AM »
I'm a junior at GWU. Went to military high school, blah, blah. Did a White House internship last semester. All that to say, I don't understand this whole thing with GPA. Realistically, it's not at all a measure of intelligence-- it's only a measure of scholastic dedication. I'd say  I'm a pretty good test-taker but have a pretty bad gpa, mainly because I haven't applied myself as well as I probably should have. But it seems to me that the LSAT is more important than GPA, precisely because the LSAT is a measure of ability.

If it comes down to which is worse, I'd take the low GPA and high LSAT score rather than vice versa. I don't even know where I'm going to apply for law school. I'd love to stay at GWU because it's ranked #19 nationally, but the chances of that are slim-- both due to GPA, and cost. Anyone else in a similar predicament?

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 01:15:20 PM »
Thank you everyone who tried to help! i didnt realize people were still responding to this post. my lsat was much lower than anticipated (158 :(), so i have applied to low gpa /LOW LSAT schools :)!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

mhgarrtt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 03:03:33 AM »
OMG....I *wish* I had a 3.3. I have a 2.27 currently (I just returned to school after being out for 10 years). In my defense, that was a long time ago and I started out pre-med. I have a 4.0 this semester, bringing me up to a 2.47 approximately. I'm taking the LSAT on Saturday. I have been testing wildly - between a 152-168!! HUGE RANGE!! Mostly around a 157 or so...I'm terrified that I'll get a 150, then I have no chance. Even with my GPA, the law school here told me I should have no problems getting in with that 157 score so wish me luck Saturday.......Gosh darn it I'm stressed LOL.... ;D

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 02:11:57 PM »
Hey, Auburn. there's some good schools in cool areas in that number range, so look around before applying. Should have some good options.  (158 = 80th percentile, still pretty good.)
T25 or bust

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 02:17:11 PM »
I'm a junior at GWU. Went to military high school, blah, blah. Did a White House internship last semester. All that to say, I don't understand this whole thing with GPA. Realistically, it's not at all a measure of intelligence-- it's only a measure of scholastic dedication. I'd say  I'm a pretty good test-taker but have a pretty bad gpa, mainly because I haven't applied myself as well as I probably should have. But it seems to me that the LSAT is more important than GPA, precisely because the LSAT is a measure of ability.

The LSAT, of course, is weighted more heavily than GPA, because it is a measure of the specific abilites felt necessary in law school. 

I'm not sure why you "don't understand this whole thing with GPA", however.  Scholastic dedication is what law school is all about, and ability means nothing if you don't apply yourself.  This is true far more in law school than in college, so of course they're going to want to know your grades, and decide accordingly.  As stated by one law professor, the LSAT tells them if you CAN do the work, and the GPA tells them if you WILL do the work. Both are therefore pretty important. 
T25 or bust

wildcataz2004

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004, 12:03:07 AM »
Auburn- Have you considered at U of Arizona or Arizona State