Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume for OUAC?  (Read 2199 times)

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
Resume for OUAC?
« on: October 18, 2004, 02:19:03 PM »
Ok, I just got back from my week of drunken debauchery in Victoria and decided to take a look at the OUAC process. They want a contact number for every single thing I've taken part in since graduating high school. Are they actually going to call these people? I mean, how the hell am I supposed to get bloody contact info for a charity I helped out at on Thanksgiving three years ago? Are they kidding me?

Beyond that, why is it so damn expensive?

And finally, why isn't it LSAT result day yet?

But seriously, how much effort should I put in to getting accurate contact numbers?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Resume for OUAC?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 04:30:11 PM »
- I have no idea why it's so damn expensive.  According to UofT, OUAC is in place to save applicants money! 

- The contact thing really sucks. I don't know if they're going to call or not.  My guess would be they pretty much leave it up to the schools.  If they want to call, the option is there.  My contacts were pretty general.  I listen people who could verify my involvment in a number of activities.  Plus, I sent both York and UofT a copy of my resume.  Actually, I personally gave it to UofT.  I called York about it and they said just make sure you put your OUAC ref. number on the top of it.

- good luck with the lsat.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 07:04:14 PM »
OUAC saving people money my arse. Someone who is only applying to two schools in Ontario gets screwed by it.

So Cheeks when you say general what do you mean? Like someone else involved in similar activities? Or the director or what?

My main concern here is I've done a fair amount of volunteer work for the Kerry campaign. At this point, I don't know who to give tem. I could give them one guy at the DNC in Washington, but he has a file number for me. On the other hand, I could give them someone from Cleveland who does know me, but they probably wouldn't even be there after Nov. 2nd. What exactly am I supposed to do?

It would really just be easier if I could submit ten reference letters instead of this nonsense.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 07:25:42 PM »
yeah, i applied to only two and got ripped off too!

What I did was submit references that can verify my involvement in a number of my activities.  On OUAC, you aren't giving them a detailed description of anything.  If I remember correctly, it's basically like title and date.  I don't think there was a description for anything.

So in your case, it's like Kerry Campaign - Volunteer Summer 2004.  Just put the name of someone that knows you did that (that isn't a member of your family).  Like a co-worker or a friend or someone who can verify it.  Even if you give them the name of the guy in cinnicinati, and they call, and he isn't there, then who cares.  It's not your problem.

If it was a 'real' resume, then you should probably take it a bit more seriously - but its not.  For work experience, I put down my managers.  But for volunteer experience and activities - i just put down people who i thought could sufficiently verify my involvement.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 07:50:33 PM »
Sounds good, thanks again man. You've been a big help with this.

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 01:13:57 AM »
giving schools a resume seems rather redundant.  the OLSAS sketch has 96 entries so you can link, say, 5 of them to write a detailed description of an activity you have done.  i'm having trouble filling in even half of those.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 10:05:11 AM »
giving schools a resume seems rather redundant.  the OLSAS sketch has 96 entries so you can link, say, 5 of them to write a detailed description of an activity you have done.  i'm having trouble filling in even half of those.

link 5 of them?  I'm confused.

Anyways, I had a few extra EC's that require a bit more explaining then the 30 character description they allow you.

(and like I said, I called the law schools nbout this and they said it was fine)

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 01:28:38 PM »
you can use as many possible consecutive entries on the sketch to elaborate on an activity.  you just put the same date/location and then use the activity field for continuing your description.  a resume would be a hell of a lot easier, though.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 01:33:50 PM »
you can use as many possible consecutive entries on the sketch to elaborate on an activity.  you just put the same date/location and then use the activity field for continuing your description.  a resume would be a hell of a lot easier, though.

hmmm, i never thought of that (and I'm glad I didn't because it seems like a ridiculous amount of work).  It seems like Canadian schools care mostly about numbers.  UBC doesn't even have a portion of their application to list things like work experience, ec's, stuff like that. 

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 01:41:42 PM »
UBC gives applicants the opportunity to write a "biographical resume" that is 3 pages long.  i'm definitely taking the opportunity to use that to expand upon my experience.  i think that if you have the numbers in both GPA and LSAT, you're fine, but it seems like UBC gives preferential treatment to their own undergrads with lower index scores than other people, so i don't wanna take my chances.