Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this a good pre-law combonation  (Read 3563 times)

golfinjoe75

• View Profile
Is this a good pre-law combonation
« on: October 18, 2004, 12:28:02 AM »
I am currently in HS and am trying to figure out my next steps in life. I am thinking about attendeding law school but I am unsure if that is what i want to do. I am also interested in Landscape Achitecture and Sports Management. I know this is a weird combanation but it is what I like and I know i could find a job in one of them. If i majored in Landscape Architecture and minored in Sports Mangament, with a few law classes along the way, would I be able to get into law school. How would my chances fair against others who took more law school oreiented classes (ie Economics)

FSF17

Re: Is this a good pre-law combonation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:33:18 AM »
You'd be OK as long as your GPA and LSAT score were up to par. The real question is what university has both a sports mamgement major and a landscape architecture major?

My advice, however, would be to forget about law school for a few years. It's too early for you to give a *&^%. There's no way to know where you'll be going to law school or what your prospects are without taking the LSAT, and it is way too early for you to take it. Just go to a good college, major in something you like, and if you still want to do law later on, THEN you can worry about it. Chances are, however, that you'll change your mind about what you want to do for a living, anyway.

AaronJ

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 11:44:11 AM »
FSF is right.  Dont worry about law school right this instant although I must admit that I respect your forsight and the fact that you like golf.  Just do well in school and focus on getting into a good university.  Here is a thought: if your into sports managment, and I assume you are reffering to the operations end of it, having a law degree can open such doors.  If that desire is still with you when it comes time to declare your major (not until your junior year) and you still want to go to law school as well, then you may consider one of the run of the mill econ, phil, poli sci :P etc majors.

I dont know what to tell you about landscaping.  Maybe technichal college?

Does that help?

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 11:57:21 AM »
1)  Landscape architecture is just a sub-segment of any architecture program.  It's a tough major with plenty of math and loads of critical thinking.

2)  There should be LOADS of places that have both.

3)  I think you should be fine for law school with that major and nothing else thrown in along the way...I was a chemistry major and am headed there.

dunson

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 11:14:30 AM »
fyi, i know a dude who graduated with a degree in landscape architecture and got a job at a nice golfcourse/privatecommunity/ country club making (no lie) 120K to start and they gave him use of a sick house right on the course....f-ing incredible

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 04:33:55 AM »
well, with that combonation you minus well just forget about law school. 

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 06:38:43 AM »
I am currently in HS and am trying to figure out my next steps in life. I am thinking about attendeding law school but I am unsure if that is what i want to do. I am also interested in Landscape Achitecture and Sports Management. I know this is a weird combanation but it is what I like and I know i could find a job in one of them. If i majored in Landscape Architecture and minored in Sports Mangament, with a few law classes along the way, would I be able to get into law school. How would my chances fair against others who took more law school oreiented classes (ie Economics)

Doesn't really matter what you major in, as long as your gpa is good.  In fact, I'd even say that your chances are better if you major in something you like, simply because you'll probably do better in those classes.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »
Wow that's cool how you can major in sports management..I wish I could do that!

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 11:08:22 PM »
What school do you go to?!?

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 07:28:42 PM »
you'll quickly find that minors are a pain in the ass and mostly a waste of time.  i'm majoring in environmental science and i was going to get a minor in business management.  i dropped the business minor like 7th grade french with only 6 more credits to go because of the hoops i had to jump through.  the problem arises when the two are in two separate colleges.  they both require different prerequesites, and then you also have to fulfill the upper division requirements.  then you have to apply for them in the two different colleges, and all hell breaks loose.  this will certainly be the case with la and sports management, but you can check it out.   
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell