Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Head Start  (Read 1110 times)

Lawschool2005

Head Start
« on: March 28, 2004, 02:42:27 PM »
Hello, I am applying for law school next year and would really like some tips from you guys. What are some things that you would have started or done if you had had time. Was there anything you could have done earlier that may have given you a better chance at the law school of your choice? Please let me know. Thanks :o

jgruber

Re: Head Start
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 03:10:22 PM »
Studied harder for the LSAT.   :'(

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 03:18:01 PM »
Studied harder for the LSAT.   :'(

I second that.

If you're looking to apply next year, your GPA is pretty well decided. You may be able to raise it fractionally, but not a lot.

You should start studying for the LSAT as soon as you can.  It will make a world of difference.

Karen W.

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 06:26:31 PM »
I am also going to be applying next year. I would definitely recommend studying for the LSAT starting with a cold (no studying before) practice exam under test like conditions guessing on questions that you dont get to in the time period if applicable. If you can study here in the next two and a half months and take the June LSAT, if you did well you would be able to put in your applications at the beginning of the app period next year, giving you a slight advantage over others if your app. is strong. Study hard to do well on the LSAT the first time and dont take if not ready. If for some reason you did not do as hoped though and kept the grade, you have the option to retake after the summer in October using the summer and early fall to study harder on sections you need while keeping up on other sections.

I myself have a coutesy hold on a prep class just to provide myself a structured regiment as I have a 20 month old at home, work full time as an MBA Sr Financial Analyst, and will just be finishing some extra grad business classes that I am taking this semester through tuition reimbursement w/ my company, so I will smoothly transition into the schedule for the Prep class since it meets on the same two days a week and then some weekends. (Powerscore.com)

Good luck.

Hello, I am applying for law school next year and would really like some tips from you guys. What are some things that you would have started or done if you had had time. Was there anything you could have done earlier that may have given you a better chance at the law school of your choice? Please let me know. Thanks :o

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »
LSAT!!!  Spending money on the Kaplan prep, only to take it cold turkey was NOT a good idea.

Also, try to raise your GPA if you can.  I'm under the current impression that every bit counts (for both GPA and LSAT).  If you're going to go to law school in such unfavorable conditions, you might as well make the best for yourself.  The school you go to will affect where you work and how prestigious your resume will be for the rest of your life as a lawyer.  Make the most of it!

Last but not least, I hated people who sucked up to professors during class, especially since my classes were all boring and huge.  I didn't see any reason to get to know professors I didn't have high regard for in the first place.  Unfortunately, I only had maybe 3 good professors over my 4.5 years and one of them was a TA (half my classes were taught by TAs somehow, even with one of the lowest student to faculty ratios in the country).  It's probably a little late now to really get to know your profs (it's always alot better if your recommendation begins "In the 3 years I've known so and so..." rather than "In the half semester..." but having recommendations is still preferable to not having any at all.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

p.s. read Turow's One L and Wellen's Barman before you apply.  You may decide it's not for you and now would be a good time to realize that. ^^

Nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 12:48:45 AM »
Whew-- good question and better timing.  Now that this year's app process is winding down--for some and others are just hearing-- Im sure we all got plenty to recomend that we would of done differently.  For sure the LSAT, specifically look at the schools youd like to go to and make sure your practices are above the 50% (preferably 75% to give a shoe-in) before you take it.  The poster that recomended the June LSAT is right on as this will give you time to fine tune the schools you want to apply to with your LSAT score.  I took the test in OCT, wrote my PS in a couple of weeks along with deciding what schools to go to.  Too rushed.  Send your apps in early-late OCT if possible, Gives you a good head start and fine tune your personal statment to each school your applying to--if possible, this also seems like a good way of getting to know what the schools offer that you are considering.  With my rushed situation I applied to several schools without really knowing too much about them once I got accepted i realized I didnt want to go--for various reasons, location, programs exc.  If I would of had time before applying I could of saved quite a bit of money. 
Again, LSAT is the key.  I took a Testmasters class liked it quite a lot.  Best of luck and congrats on planning early.  Cheers.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 04:57:10 PM »
Drink A LOT immediately after you take the LSAT.  It may preclude you from cancelling your score just because you don't think you did well.  NO ONE that I know actually thought they did well immediately after the test, although most of them scored right in the rage they had been scoring on their practice tests. Good luck my friend! I am so glad it's over for me! ;D

wiseguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 11:59:58 PM »
I agree Ruskie, I almost cancelled my score and slashed my wrists, but it turned out to be my average. I think it becomes such a habit, that even if ur not really concentrating u'll do about the same.