Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A lousy UG GPA and a decent MBA GPA, does LSAC combine?  (Read 661 times)

Gpasqua

• View Profile
    • Email
A lousy UG GPA and a decent MBA GPA, does LSAC combine?
« on: March 28, 2004, 02:04:43 PM »
Hi everyone this is my first post and I am glad to be here.  I am a 31 year old husband with a 7 month old.  My undergrad was in Psychology and I walked away with an embarassing 2.1 or 2.2 GPA. Awful.  I screwed around for 4 and a half years and loved every minute of it.  I eventually got a job in a giant Telecommunications Company who pays the tuition on any type of educational program.  As I matured I decided to get an MBA from Long Island University, CW Post Campus.  I graduated with Honors and 3.6+ GPA.  Now I know the LSAT score really weighs heavily when applying, but will LSAC differentiate between my two Grades and two Degrees or will they review my transcipts and "decide" what my GPA is?
If they do "decide", does anyone know how they get to a number?  What would mine be?
Also a little off topic, I have several choices for Part Time programs.  How "lighter" is the load in comparison to a FT program?  I work Full time, so I am just curious if anyone had any generalizations about PT programs...
Thank you for your time...

Lawschool2005

Re: A lousy UG GPA and a decent MBA GPA, does LSAC combine?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 02:37:20 PM »
Unfortunately they do not go by graduate gpa but ug however if you write an add and say why you had a low ug gpa and show how much you improved in graduate school. They may consider your app, what did you get on the lsat because if you have a score over 165 they will most probably be ok with it.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: A lousy UG GPA and a decent MBA GPA, does LSAC combine?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 08:36:59 PM »
The previous poster is correct.  The GPA that goes on your LSAC report is, unfortunately, the one from your undergrad career.  However, the GPA from your MBA could probably help you by showing schools that you've matured in the mean time.  I'm not sure whether this explaination should go in your personal statement or in an addendenum to your application.  Usually the latter is used to explain why you received bad grades, etc. so unless you have a good reason, this might be better used in your statement.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Regarding part-time programs, it depends on the school.  Some are as much as one class less than the full-time norm; there may be some that allow you to take any arbitary number of credits on a per-credit fee basis.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Hi everyone this is my first post and I am glad to be here.  I am a 31 year old husband with a 7 month old.  My undergrad was in Psychology and I walked away with an embarassing 2.1 or 2.2 GPA. Awful.  I screwed around for 4 and a half years and loved every minute of it.  I eventually got a job in a giant Telecommunications Company who pays the tuition on any type of educational program.  As I matured I decided to get an MBA from Long Island University, CW Post Campus.  I graduated with Honors and 3.6+ GPA.  Now I know the LSAT score really weighs heavily when applying, but will LSAC differentiate between my two Grades and two Degrees or will they review my transcipts and "decide" what my GPA is?
If they do "decide", does anyone know how they get to a number?  What would mine be?
Also a little off topic, I have several choices for Part Time programs.  How "lighter" is the load in comparison to a FT program?  I work Full time, so I am just curious if anyone had any generalizations about PT programs...
Thank you for your time...