Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SIN question  (Read 1319 times)

victrola

• View Profile
SIN question
« on: October 17, 2004, 02:05:09 PM »
does anyone know what the point is in requiring applicants to provide their social insurance (or security) numbers to law schools?  on the OLSAS and UBC web forms, putting your SIN is mandatory.

is it to identify people?  do a background check on taxes, income, criminal record check??

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SIN question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 02:11:16 PM »
damn, I just thought I had to write down if I had a criminal record.  Now you're telling me I have to put SIN down on the app too?!  I'll never get into law school.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 02:12:50 PM »
Normally they identify applicants by their SIN numbers.  Also, if they give you a 'need-based' scholarship, then they have to do a background check on credit and things along those lines.

EDIT:  YOU"VE SINNED absy  :o

kerisd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:45:10 PM »
I was wondering the same thing when I was registering for my Dec LSAT over the weekend.
I almost didn't put it down b/c i didn't understand why it was necessary

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 05:07:55 PM »
it's completely optional ... but, you don't get any need based scholarships for sure if you dont' give it to them. 

The messed up thing is, when you sign up for LSAC, they say its optional.  SO... i didn't put it in.  BUT ... then like 2 weeks after the test, I got a letter saying my SIN number was wrong and that if I wanted to get my score on time, I had to fax it to them ASAP.  stupid LSAC.

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 02:16:16 PM »
LOL Cheeks, the exact same thing happened to me!  I didn't sign up with my SIN number on the LSAC, because I'm a little paranoid about giving out that info over the internet (and rightly so). 

Imagine my suprise on Thursday when I got that letter... I was freaked!  I figured that since the LSAC was so busy right now, that there was no way my score wouldn't be delayed.  But I faxed my letter in on Friday morning, and had my score by Saturday evening...

Silly LSAC.
Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 02:20:44 PM »
LOL Cheeks, the exact same thing happened to me!  I didn't sign up with my SIN number on the LSAC, because I'm a little paranoid about giving out that info over the internet (and rightly so). 

Imagine my suprise on Thursday when I got that letter... I was freaked!  I figured that since the LSAC was so busy right now, that there was no way my score wouldn't be delayed.  But I faxed my letter in on Friday morning, and had my score by Saturday evening...

Silly LSAC.

you honestly can't believe the trouble my SIN has caused me with my US applications.  UGH!!!!

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 117686925
    • MSN Messenger - Pikeman85@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Pikeman852003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 12:53:01 AM »
Silly Canadians and their SIN. It's obvious we have to conquer them.
Mr. Verbosity!

Morgin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 02:02:32 AM »
Silly Canadians and their SIN. It's obvious we have to conquer them.

At least our SIN cards are plastic. Some guy left his SSN card behind at the ferries this summer and i was amazed that it was unlaminated paper. crazy.