Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any ex-military people???  (Read 5930 times)

twarga

Re: any ex-military people???
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2005, 09:14:11 AM »
I didn't even write about my military experience in my ps.  I did list it on my application, along with some of the leadership awards I won.  I figured that would do the trick.  Plus, since I checked the "yes" box to the break in education question and was required to write about it, I mentioned my 12 years ME there, too.  All in all, I sent an application, a ps, an explanation for break in education, and a resume.  Two out of three mention the military.

toms1234

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
Swagger:

I agree completely.  Use it to show your intellect and/or how you can spice up the classroom and law environment.  Otherwise, I don't see it being a huge boost.  Rich kids or not, military or not, they focus mainly on #s.

twarga

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005, 07:32:16 PM »
I just found out I'm in at Widener (full scholarship- found out in person during my visit/tour) and Rutgers-Camden today.  Whoo hoo!  And the Rutgers-Camden email addressed how much they liked my personal statement, LORs, and work experience.  I think it really makes a difference. 

toms1234

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2005, 07:04:39 AM »
You probably did exactly what swagger and I have been talking about: showing how your experiences make you a better future law student, and not just in terms of discipline and maturity which people can get from a variety of events.  Oh, and your numbers aren't bad either.

Congratulations!

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2005, 12:40:29 PM »
I just found out I'm in at Widener (full scholarship- found out in person during my visit/tour) and Rutgers-Camden today.  Whoo hoo!  And the Rutgers-Camden email addressed how much they liked my personal statement, LORs, and work experience.  I think it really makes a difference. 

According to chiashu, you had something like a 99.99% chance of admission at Widener.  Your numbers are outstanding, and congratulations, even if you are in the dreaded Air Force ;)

mcleod13

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2005, 12:58:01 PM »
Here is where I get confused. I have talked to alot of admissions personnel because the Pre-law Association I am in deals with them all the time for our members. Anyway, they all state they want to see applications from people who have traveled, have work experience, discipline, worked with a diverse group of people, and people that show that they have grown.
Now I for one, having been in the Navy, all of the above applies to me. I have traveled the world, been to poor countries and seen the worst of the worst. I have helped confiscate 3.5 tons of cocaine in a colombian drug bust. I have grow ALOT since joining the military. I had enormous amounts of responsability and leadershitp. I was in charge of top secret materials, and accounted for a 17 million budget on a daily basis. I had planned to write my personal statement in a way that reflects all of this, but now I am not so sure of what to do. My numbers aren't that great right now, hopefully after I retake the LSAT they will be significantly higher. I am not shooting for a T14 at all, more like 2nd and 3rd tier schools in FL.
Any suggestions?

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2005, 01:23:56 PM »
Here is where I get confused. I have talked to alot of admissions personnel because the Pre-law Association I am in deals with them all the time for our members. Anyway, they all state they want to see applications from people who have traveled, have work experience, discipline, worked with a diverse group of people, and people that show that they have grown.
Now I for one, having been in the Navy, all of the above applies to me. I have traveled the world, been to poor countries and seen the worst of the worst. I have helped confiscate 3.5 tons of cocaine in a colombian drug bust. I have grow ALOT since joining the military. I had enormous amounts of responsability and leadershitp. I was in charge of top secret materials, and accounted for a 17 million budget on a daily basis. I had planned to write my personal statement in a way that reflects all of this, but now I am not so sure of what to do. My numbers aren't that great right now, hopefully after I retake the LSAT they will be significantly higher. I am not shooting for a T14 at all, more like 2nd and 3rd tier schools in FL.
Any suggestions?

I agree with many of the posts that say that veteran status, in and of itself, is not likely to be beneficial. But, some schools specify what they want you to write about. For instance, UTK has two 500 word essays. A personal statement that should discuss why you want to go to law school and anything about yourself that they DON'T ALREADYKNOW that would make you a good candidate for their school. TThe second essay requires that you describe the most important learning experience you have had in the last ten years.

The second essay is where you can explicate your military experience as it relates to you and your drive/ambition or whatever. I did this and I am happy with the result. If you want I can help you with any ideas you might have.

HTH
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

twarga

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2005, 02:09:47 PM »
This language was in my congratulations email from Rutgers-Camden:

The Committee and the Deans at the Law School were very, very impressed with your outstanding personal statement.  Your career history is very impressive and we received
many wonderful letters of recommendation for you.  We would love to have
you in our entering class this year.

My personal statement was about how working in my mom's beauty salon affected me.  I did write another essay on my military experience, but it was part of the required answer to why I had a break in my education.  Numbers are important, but having a very well written ps, with good LORs obviously doesn't hurt either.

toms1234

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2005, 06:57:33 PM »
Most competitive students all have great LORs, PS and experience.  It's a given that they help.

mcleod13

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2005, 12:45:03 PM »
It's cool, I understand. I know how it is when you go TAD sometimes, you never know what to expect. I appreciate your help. I REALLY DO!!