Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any ex-military people???  (Read 5943 times)

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: any ex-military people???
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 09:25:30 PM »
<- 5 yrs Navy (and by "Navy", I mean stuck on shore the entire time), but still in the application process so I can't really offer that much insight. Good luck, nonetheless.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

twarga

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 05:34:31 PM »
I was Active Duty for 3 years and a reservist for 9.  I'm an Air Force Reserve paralegal, and I think that a military past can't hurt, but what about the ultra liberal law schools?  Do you think they look down on us?

LawBound2004

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 05:44:59 PM »
Former Marine, stationed on Camp Pendleton 1996-2000.  I applied to over 12 law schools last year, and was only accepted into three (actually two; I do not consider Cooley a "law school").  At any rate, in addition to my military service and some awards, I also received a BA and MA (high GPA's) in political science from a private university in PA with a strong reputation.  Only one law school seemed to be impressed with my military service.  Although I received an offer of admission, I was accepted into their summer program for individuals with lower than average LSAT scores.  The other schools did not care; I suppose that had something to do with my 142 LSAT score.  So, if you do have a low LSAT score, retake it and attempt to score in the 50 percentile.  My understanding, after e-mailing various schools I applied to last year, was that schools are much more LSAT focused due to the increase in applications over the course of the past few years.  While military service is a plus, it's not going to place you ahead of someone with a higher LSAT score.

Best wishes to all!

Mark

mcleod13

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 08:02:06 PM »
I do have a subpar LSAT a 144 and a 146. I am hoping that after I retake in June that I will score around a 160. I which will take my avg to a 150. I plan on applying to FSU which considers the higher so that might give me an advantage. And with a 150 avg, I hope that will give me an advantage at Stetson, or maybe they will consider that I scored higher by about 14 points and count it. I hope that I can have some sort of advantage using my military experience. I am not against going to NOVA and trying to transfer out.

racheles05

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 07:12:36 AM »
I was active duty for four years and in the Guard for two. I had an interesting job, broadcasting, so I'm hoping that will turn a few heads. I feel sort of like I'm in a catch-22 because I'm a female veteran. The more conservative folks are still hesitant to accept women in the military, and I'm not sure service will gain any points with liberal law schools. Here's hoping though. I've got a 158 LSAT and 3.8 GPA. My top choice is the University of Miami.

On a side note, do you think I should take the LSAT again? I don't know if a February LSAT will do me any good at this point, even if I do score much higher (which isn't guaranteed.) Like many people here, I have a family, work full-time and don't have the luxury of full-time LSAT prep. Maybe I'll get sympathy points for surviving two hurricanes...

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005, 12:09:41 PM »
I was Active Duty for 3 years and a reservist for 9.  I'm an Air Force Reserve paralegal, and I think that a military past can't hurt, but what about the ultra liberal law schools?  Do you think they look down on us?

hey - how is being a paralegal in the af reserve? lots of work during drill? i'm thinking about cross-training over into the paralegal field - i loathe my current job, air trans. How long is the training?

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 04:20:53 PM »
I spent seven long years in the Navy and I am also hoping that it will overshadow my poor LSAT!!!

Has anyone been accepted to a "reach" school already that you can attribute veteran status as being the reason for acceptance?
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

mcleod13

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 04:35:59 PM »
Ndiver, were you EOD? I spen my last two years in the Navy working support for EODGRU 2. Just curious. I haven't even started applying yet. i am going to next year. i just hate waiting until the last minute. I have already started on my personal statement and addendums. I will start filling out my application prob in may. Just so I can ensure that I ahve them all together and in the mail on the 30th of August.

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2005, 10:11:59 AM »
Ndiver, were you EOD? I spen my last two years in the Navy working support for EODGRU 2. Just curious. I haven't even started applying yet. i am going to next year. i just hate waiting until the last minute. I have already started on my personal statement and addendums. I will start filling out my application prob in may. Just so I can ensure that I ahve them all together and in the mail on the 30th of August.

No... I was a submariner that was lucky enough to go to Panama City for Dive School.

Let me know if you want me to look over your PS, bc I have a few good ideas on how to tie in your military service. Depending on your experiences I might be able to help you.

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 10:13:22 AM »
mcleod, where are you applying... or thinking of applying?