Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any ex-military people???  (Read 5877 times)

ndiver

• 3.34 (4.0), 151
    • View Profile
Re: any ex-military people???
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 10:14:37 AM »
oops... I just read your prior post. Do you live in florida now?
Accepted: Stetson
Rejected:UC Boulder, UGA, UTK, Georgia State, Hofstra, Santa Clara, Temple
Pending: Mercer

mcleod13

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2005, 04:04:30 PM »
No,  ilive in Illinois right now. I plan on applying in the fall of 05 for matriculation in 06. I have written a little bit of my PS. My PS is going to consist of my leadership, experiences of a 3.5 ton drug bust, and how for my last year and a half in the military I worked ful time 50+ hours for the Navy, Went to school full time, held a part time job djing, was a full time father and husband, softball coach, and raised money for local charities. What do you think?

mcleod13

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2005, 11:01:50 PM »
I was an SK2 in the supply office of GROUP 2, if you want tell LCDR McCollum the supply officer to get his ass in gear and get my LOR out LOL. Have fun at Group2 EOD guys were the funnest to  be stationed with. I did/am doing my undergrad with Southern Illinois University. I was in charge of all sorts of money stuff. If you get a chance stop in and see SKC Jackson, and SK1 Dalton, they are a great group of people. Are you getting out? Just wanting to go to law school?

mcleod13

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 11:58:22 PM »
Yeppers, I am a Saluki, I couldn't wait to get out and get on with my plans of being a lawyer. I wanted to come back to Illinois so bad and finish and wanted to go here, but I have changed my mind an I want to go to Florida more than anything. It is tooooo cold here. I told him that he needs to make certain he adds the amount of responsability I had, how well I did, and all my EC's there. I hope he does a great job.

mcleod13

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2005, 02:09:15 AM »
I want to go t FSU, but if not there Miami or Stetson

toms1234

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 09:13:19 PM »
I think anything that shows good performance and responsibilty helps, but it also helps if you are involved in any academic or research area... since it seems law school is full of intellectual types, not operators.  For instance, nuclear engineering, foreign policy/intel or foreign work experience, or maybe big financial programs.  Those seem to parallel other type jobs in the civilian world, yet also could give a plus since it's typically in a more dynamic environment.

Otherwise, I don't see law schools giving much more weight to military service than say a guy who worked for GE or went to the peace corps.

twarga

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 07:26:54 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I see the before military me and the after military me to be two entirely different people.  I know this isn't true for everyone (I have worked many courts-martial  ;) ) but I think the military instills a lot of self-discipline and removes any fear of hard work (again, for most of us).  I'm not sure the Peace Corps or GE could do all that. 

mcleod13

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2005, 07:48:02 AM »
NO KIDDING. I can see a big difference at my undergrad between me and the others that have never been in the military. Many or even most, seem to not take it very serious and they think mommy and daddy will take care of everything. They complain and think that the University owes them good grades. They don't know how to work for things and complain when they do. Not all undergrads are like this, but many that haven't been in the military are.

toms1234

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 08:15:41 AM »
I understand your points on discipline and working hard, and value those as well since I'm military. 

But, to say that someone who is a naturally gifted student or is a talented employee of a civilian business and doesn't have the discipline that the military gives, is stretching it.  I also don't necessarily think all military work hard, and many civilian business men and women have to grind it out harder in different ways.  It helps the majority of people, but from this thread, it doesn't look like many law schools will use an average military background as a trump card.

That's why the overall majority of people are fresh out of college, and top schools tend to only like high numbers.  It's because they like intellectuals.  I think military is a plus, but it depends on what you gained and each individual's situation.

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2005, 08:43:07 AM »
This is my opinion, take it or leave it:

If law schools were truly concerned with personal values and experiences over intellect, the admissions process would be completely different.  But it isn't.  Intellect rules the day.

Write your personal statement about an experience in the military, unique to the military, that drove you to pursue law as a career or increased your analytical/intellectual ability. Otherwise you are wasting an opportunity.  Telling a law school you were a rifleman in Baghdad, with no academic context, is probably no more compelling to an admissions committee than telling them were a mid-level supervisor at General Electric.  Plus, even among vets, they will get dozens of applications, so the "unique" factor you expect might be diluted.  "The military gave me discipline" is probably heard a thousand times.

I can give some advice on how I approached this in my personal statement if you want, just PM me.