Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any ex-military people???  (Read 5884 times)

mrdino

• View Profile
any ex-military people???
« on: October 17, 2004, 12:35:02 PM »
Hi, i was wondering what effect, if any, military experience has on a law school application? is it better to be a commissioned officer or a private? any benefits of serving abroad? thanks

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: any ex-military people???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 12:50:34 PM »
There are a few military folks on here. As far as if it helps or not, the jury is still out. If a person just out of undergrad and a person with military exp were both gunning for the last spot in an available class, and everything else was equal, I feel pretty confident that the veteran would get the slot.

A couple of years in the military won't make up for a 2.1 UGPA and a DUI but I'm sure it is looked favorably on by the adcom.

I don't know if Officer counts for more than a private, but I would think it would. Based on the amount of responsibility each one has.

mrdino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 01:01:20 PM »
thanks
i'm bascially faced with a dilemma of either serving as a private for 2 years, or as an officer for 3, and (I'm Korean by the way) it's compulsory so I have to go... i graduated this past may in the states with a 3.3 gpa and have yet to take the lsat (latest score was cancelled) and "expect" a score in the low 170s...

so i'm wondering wheher I should wait out on the application process since i hear that a few years of work experience can help offset a  relatively low gpa (given that i do well on lsats)... or just apply this december (which i hear is bad cuz over half of the seatings at most law schools are full by then)
if i do serve in the military, i'm either gonna be a 'translating(?)' officer or a private in the Korean Augmentation Troops to the US Army stationed in Korea... OR i can work in the defense industry as a software engineer for 2 years in lieu of active duty... which option u guys think is best??

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 01:22:25 PM »
I was in korea, you do not wan to be a KATUSA!! Do the officer thing. Life is better, and so is the pay.

mrdino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 01:29:18 PM »
are you serious???????? what's so bad about katusa??????

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »
Very serious!  You will end up working for some punk 22 year old american, and you will be stuck with all the *&^% jobs. You will be looked down upon by all the other enlisted Korean soldiers because they think you are soft and the only reason you got the job was because your parents knew some General and didn't wan't you serving in the "real Army". If you are a KATUSA you are going to be a secretary, nothing more. Go and do three years as an officer. You will still be plenty young to go to school. If you don't want to do that, do the defense industry thing. i would not be a KATUSA if I could help it.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 02:07:11 AM »

A couple of years in the military won't make up for a 2.1 UGPA and a DUI but I'm sure it is looked favorably on by the adcom.

Hey!  I resemble that remark.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

jackalope

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 06:36:03 PM »
Dude, I have never heard anyone say anything good about the way that KATUSA's are treated.
Dustoff is right.
BTW D, my packet is at Branch.  Ended up with 7 Letters with two GO's among them.  Feeling good. ;)

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 06:55:25 PM »
Dude, I have never heard anyone say anything good about the way that KATUSA's are treated.
Dustoff is right.
BTW D, my packet is at Branch. Ended up with 7 Letters with two GO's among them. Feeling good. ;)

Best of luck Bro.  I wish I could have applied a few years ago. The Army was like "we just paid an assload of money to teach you to fly, and now you want to go to law school?!!?! @#!* that!!!" Now go to Korea!! ;D

mrdino

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 08:39:58 PM »
but u know what though? the fact that katusa's get treated like *&^% doesn't really concern me. i'll get treated like *&^% wherever in the military i go.. i could deal with that./..  it's a question of extent. my biggest concern is in convicing adcomms to take their most favorable view of my service... and i was wondering if serving in a US Army environment would be viewed upon more favorably than, say, serving as a Korean Army officer ( of course there are the trade offs, like officers exercise more leadership and team management... i'm just not sur eif it's worth it)