Law School Discussion

Can you defer more than one school?

Can you defer more than one school?
« on: March 28, 2004, 08:41:34 AM »
I was wondering if you can defer more than one school for a year and then make a choice?   Do the schools that you defer appear on your LSDAS report in a special way?  What I am also trying to understand is whether a deferral obligates you to attend that law school over any other law school the following year.  Can you apply to more law school after deferring?   I would appreciate some thoughtful replies.  Thank you in advance.

Re: Can you defer more than one school?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 07:59:39 PM »
Not an expert on this by no means, but here is my two cents. From the reading I have done, they have said that it is bad to defer to two schools and at least unethical b/c you are taking both offers and then deferring over a period of time. Then you want to reapply to other schools as well. You should talk with the prelaw advisor at your undergrad to make sure that that wouldnt affect your LSAC and look in some prelaw books about deferring. I beleive some schools may have you make an agreement that you wont open any new apps when you defer and are not deferring anywhere else during the period that you are deferred with them.

Maybe others will be able to give better info than just my readings, as I have not doing the application process until next year at the earliest.

I was wondering if you can defer more than one school for a year and then make a choice?   Do the schools that you defer appear on your LSDAS report in a special way?  What I am also trying to understand is whether a deferral obligates you to attend that law school over any other law school the following year.  Can you apply to more law school after deferring?   I would appreciate some thoughtful replies.  Thank you in advance.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 09:21:52 PM »
I understand it the same way.  To defer, you are basically accepting your spot but postponing your start date for a year, etc.  Thus, it is likely wrong to defer more than one school.  For the same reason, you probably don't want to be applying to more schools.  The option to defer is not supposed to be a way for you to have a nice back-up the following year in case you don't get into the schools you want for.  Schools might as well just have you reapply again -- it would help increase the total # of apps received, which helps in rankings, etc.  ^^

penn5

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 01:17:45 PM »
This is not unethical and you have a right to respond to multiple offers with a response of "later.". Pay the two fees. You are deferring to next year's class and you are not putting anyone at a disadvantage because you will pick one before next year's deadline.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 01:41:07 PM »
Well, in terms of having a right to do so... not all law schools allow you to defer so easily... often, it's a case by case situation...

WillyardB

• If elected, I'll be tough on ALL crime.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 12:38:32 PM »
By this logic, if I was accepted at my second choice, paid the fee to hold a seat and my first choice pulled me off the waiting list... I wouldn't be able to matriculate at my first choice. It is my understanding that the fee holds your seat, as does a deferral. This does not appear to be contractual or unethical, given waitlist policies. We all want to do the best for ourselves (applicant and school).

Ginatio

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 01:07:56 PM »
a deferral at most schools is indeed contractual. they have written down as clear as day that if you wish to defer at their school, you agree not to apply to other schools or defer to other schools.

paying the deposit and waiting to hear from other schools is different than deferring your admission for a year. once you defer, you're stuck with wherever you've deferred. I imagine if you decide to break it up somehow, you might find yourself on a law-school blacklist.

By this logic, if I was accepted at my second choice, paid the fee to hold a seat and my first choice pulled me off the waiting list... I wouldn't be able to matriculate at my first choice. It is my understanding that the fee holds your seat, as does a deferral. This does not appear to be contractual or unethical, given waitlist policies. We all want to do the best for ourselves (applicant and school).

Duner

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 03:12:29 PM »
I think Ginatio pretty much said it all, but i also think deferrals are like everything else...each school differs. when i was looking for deferrals last year, most of the schools have you sign a contractual agreement stating you will neither apply or defer elsewhere. but, i'm sure some schools just don't care either way. one thing to be sure of is whether your schools even offer deferrals....none of the schools i liked offered them and i had to reapply.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 09:15:45 AM »
A friend of mine applied to a bunch of schools in CA including Pepperdine and UCLA.  She chose UCLA but wasn't sure she would like it, and so she deferred her acceptances at some other schools just in case. Well, she hated UCLA and dropped out before the semester was up.  Then she decided to take Pepperdine up on their offer for the next year.  She just finished 1L there last month and loved it.

Ethical? Maybe not.  Allowed? Apparently.

WillyardB

• If elected, I'll be tough on ALL crime.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 09:52:45 AM »
A friend of mine applied to a bunch of schools in CA including Pepperdine and UCLA.  She chose UCLA but wasn't sure she would like it, and so she deferred her acceptances at some other schools just in case. Well, she hated UCLA and dropped out before the semester was up.  Then she decided to take Pepperdine up on their offer for the next year.  She just finished 1L there last month and loved it.

Ethical? Maybe not.  Allowed? Apparently.

That's interesting. So the contractual agreement to defer was not broken because she quit UCLA and started at Pepperdine as per her deferral agreement. I wonder if the other schools will "black-list" her. If yes, will this hurt her chances with employers?