Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS help please!!!  (Read 1267 times)

lawstudhopefull

Re: PS help please!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »
ok...who was that for?

john6675

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »
lawstudhopefull I sent back your essay- the changes are just a suggestion.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 04:22:50 PM »
wow, that's awesome....thanks for your help....i will revamp and send back sometime soon! thanks again!

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2004, 04:54:55 PM »
John,

That's exactly my point. It won't be generic if your abilities are discussed in the essay in a profound manner or through an experience. I think it shows creativity to show those underlying skills that will aid you in law school and would interest adcomms in having you a part of the student body. Like I said, its assumed that you are writing this to gain admission into law school and they know the criterion for what is a good student. You don't  need to list your own criterion and meet them. Just write a great essay that shows your abilities and you should be fine.

Asad
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2004, 04:56:30 PM »
ok john, sent back to ya :)

john6675

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 05:26:52 PM »
akudiya,

You miss my point- the linear method is boring.  Think about the great comedians- what made them great?  They had a certain schtick, an angle, something about them that people remembered.

Your essay should be no different.

I remember the science fairs I went to as a kid.  Everyone made volcanoes.  Some sucked and some were cool, with puffs of smoke and little rivlets of red paint (a la the Brady Bunch).  But they were all volcanoes.  After a while, the judges qrew so sick of them that volcanoes weren't allowed in competition. 

Personally, I think that adcomms are looking for the unorthodox essay, because in law school it is the student who can think "outside the box" that eventually becomes the best lawyer.  Being an attorney involves challenging and debating the law, not figuring out the most straightforward way to reword it.  In that sense, an essay that defies the norm would speak to your abilities better than a generic formulaic one- which by the way, they might suspect could have been written by anyone.

And it's not creative to show underlying skills that would help you in law school.  That's commonsense.

john6675

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 05:51:41 PM »
lawstudhopefull, I still haven't received it... try again.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2004, 05:56:17 PM »
k sent again

john6675

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2004, 05:59:36 PM »
much better lawstudhopefull...  I'll get back to you in email with more specifics... But I think if you look at the original and the one you've written now, the second one is MUCH better.  The trick is to have some sort of structure to the whole thing so you stay on topic.

Great Job.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2004, 06:27:30 PM »
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I think it depends on each essay, I beleive you can be profound and creative either way.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23