Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS help please!!!  (Read 1259 times)

john6675

Re: PS help please!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 02:22:51 PM »
cheeks, I assumed that yours is already in the mail.  I meant lawstudhopefull... but if you're able to return to the insecurity causing red-ink days of high school English, feel free to submit as well.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 02:25:50 PM »
cheeks, I assumed that yours is already in the mail.  I meant lawstudhopefull... but if you're able to return to the insecurity causing red-ink days of high school English, feel free to submit as well.

actually yeah, its been sent already but thankfully a few LSD members already red-inked it before it went out.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 02:29:13 PM »
ok thanks john, i will send it here in a while, i'm just finishing some stuff up....any positives and critisisms would be appreciated. thanks!

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 02:36:01 PM »
You are not required to relate your ps to law for most law schools. They just want to find a way to get to know you better.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

john6675

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 02:42:06 PM »
akudiya... wtf?

So I can use the same ps for law school, clown college, and "Why I deserve to be an Avon representative." essay contest? 

I'm not saying the entire statement should be about law school, but at the very least there should be an explanation about why the things you've mentioned are pertinent to law school.  And if, as I can already hear you saying, those things are self-explanatory, then you should rewrite your ps so that it's not so quotidian.  Anyone who applies to law school can probably think well in a straightforward manner.  They want to see what sets you apart from the crowd.  A lackluster ps is just going to lump you in with the masses.

You have to write with a purpose.  The purpose of a ps is to get into law school.  Period.  Talking about sports, your dead grandmother, or how you raise orangutangs in the wild is only going to help if you connect it with your worth to the law school.  Adcomms do have souls, but they're not paid to admit applicants who can simply brag about themselves and make people cry... you have to tell them how you would contribute to the school.

john6675

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2004, 02:42:56 PM »
by the way, akudiya, the extent to which we look alike is astounding.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2004, 02:46:21 PM »
ok john it's sent....it's very very rough....so i am allowing you to rip me apart :)

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2004, 02:48:27 PM »
You guessed my answer, but what's wrong with the body of the ps having the underlying message as to why "I" would be such a great candidate for law school.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2004, 02:52:08 PM »
If anyone else would be willing to read mine and give me any advice and critisisms that would be appreicated!! thank you!

john6675

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2004, 02:55:40 PM »
Perhaps you're my doppelganger?

There's nothing "wrong" with it, in the same sense that there's nothing "wrong" with an ugly girl- sorry to all the ugly girls out there.

But the plain-Jane method of writing smacks of the generic- a trait that is coumpounded when the adcomms read (i.e. glances over) thousands of apps.  You want to write something that makes them critically engage the text- in other words, make them forget that they're getting paid to read it.  

The best movies are the ones that we feel a part of... Shawshank Redemption, Star Wars, etc.

Lifetime movies are the ones we laugh at...  "Forgotten Sins:  The Madam McAllister Story"

One last point- if you left Shawshank Redemption thinking that you didn't get your money's worth... you have no soul.