Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS help please!!!  (Read 1279 times)

lawstudhopefull

PS help please!!!
« on: October 17, 2004, 11:54:37 AM »
Hey all....

I have been trying to figure out what to write my personal statement on...but I cannot think of anything! I was thinking of relating it to sports (because I have been an athlete my whole life) and how this would influence my decision to study law.  If anyone can give me some ideas or comments...that'd be great! thanks!

AaronJ

Re: PS help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 12:09:10 PM »
I think if you can articulate how it contributed to shaping the hardworking, motivated and consistent ;) individual you are now, then yes include it.  In my opinion I think you should be carefull not to make it the central theme or to over glorify it.  The intent of your personal statement should be convey the reasons you have chosen the path of the law and what good (have a specific concept developed) you can contribute to society as a result.

Also, read Getting into Harvard Law for examples of actual admitted students personal statements.

Above is what my general approach will be.

Good luck.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 01:21:09 PM »
My personal statement is about my experience in a particular sport ... I wrote about my dedication and experiences, and I it turned out fine.  I didn't mention why I wanted to study law or anything really even about law school - but I don't think that you need to do this in a PS.

john6675

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 01:58:44 PM »
You didn't talk about law school at all in your personal statement?

What were you thinking?

I can write a brilliant statement about how I can eat Doritos with my toes- the dedication it took to learn the craft, the hardships I faced before realizing my ultimate success.  But if I don't connect it with law school, the adcomm is left scratching their heads. 

I'm not saying it will keep you from being accepted, but certainly someone with a more pertinent and relevant ps will stand a better chance- with similar scores, of course.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 02:12:23 PM »
I think you should reread my post, i specifically said that i related it on why i want to study law. 

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 02:13:56 PM »
i really need some advice on how i can make this more relevant and bulk it up a little...it's not very long at all right now...i can't think of anything else to talk about

john6675

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 02:14:28 PM »
I was responding to cheeks inane comment, not yours- which by the way was insightful and introspective.  I certainly think that sports would be a good topic, just relate it to law school and you'll be fine.  

Just to reiterate- my confused befuddlement is directed at cheeks, not you.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 02:15:37 PM »
I was responding to cheeks inane comment, not yours- which by the way was insightful and introspective.  I certainly think that sports would be a good topic, just relate it to law school and you'll be fine.  

Just to reiterate- my confused befuddlement is directed at cheeks, not you.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how it does...

john6675

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 02:16:36 PM »
Not to toot my own horn, but...

I've won short story contests, written a novel, and taught high school English for three years.

If you want, send it to johnnettles@hotmail.com and I'll help.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 02:18:17 PM »
Not to toot my own horn, but...

I've won short story contests, written a novel, and taught high school English for three years.

If you want, send it to johnnettles@hotmail.com and I'll help.

me?? or her??