Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara vs Pepperdine  (Read 2620 times)

1L2004

• View Profile
Re: Santa Clara vs Pepperdine
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 11:22:31 AM »
Definitely take Santa Clara...Pepperdine may be in So. Cal but it has a bad reputation there, is populated by people hostile to the liberal sensibilities typical of the bay area and (I'm told) has some connection to Kenneth Starr.  Basically the place is less a serious legal institution and more of a diploma mill for wannabe evangelical social-engineers.  SC is still in a great area and the community you'll be able to network with will certainly be connected to IP/patent work in So. Cal.

caliboy888

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 04:18:43 AM »
If you're interest is in patent law, and particularly with high-tech, go to Santa Clara. While it isn't a Tier 1, it makes up for that fact by leveraging it's location in the heart of Silicon Valley. Many of SCU's programs (not just the law school) have strong ties with Silicon Valley Business.

Pepperdine is closer to the beach though... ;)

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 01:47:09 AM »
  Wow...thanks for all the advice!  I really appreciate it.  As a lot of you mentioned, Pepperdine IS very conservative...It was one of the things I was a bit uncomfortable with at their open house.  I ended up putting down my deposit at SCU.  However, since then I've gotten into Univ. San Diego and yet again I'm not sure which one I will go to.  I will have to visit them both in order to decide.  (Neither has given me money).  Thanks again for your advice.  I thought this decision would be easy...I was SO wrong!  Good luck with your decisions.  Maybe I will see some of you in the fall!    :)

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 01:58:31 AM »
Santa Clara seems to be extremely stingy , for some reason.  I have heard of NO ONE who's gotten money from them!  For a LOW second tier, you'd think they'd dish out more dough

They offered me some cash.  I don't think they are that stingy.  Like Chica, I was offered $15,000. 

Chica:  You should definitely go to Hastings over Santa Clara.  Hastings has a better reputation than SCU, especially in the Bay Area.  :) 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

thechoson

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 02:04:06 AM »
Hey Cal, if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats, and is that scholarship renewable (and what are the terms) 
Thanks!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 02:10:24 AM »
Hey Cal, if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats, and is that scholarship renewable (and what are the terms) 
Thanks!

I had a 3.74 from UC Berkeley and 159 on my LSATs.  My LSATs are pretty low, but I had 2 strong recommendation letters and a strong personal statment so I think it cancelled out my poor LSAT score.  I'm not what you call a typical applicant, I guess--since I think I got into schools not because of my numbers but because of everything else in my application.  I don't know if that helps much. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 02:11:09 AM »
Oops.  and as for the scholarship, I think it is renewable.  I think it depends on your class rank/placement. 

JD07

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 03:20:07 AM »
I have heard Santa Clara is a top-notch IP school. But what about other areas of specialty. How do they stack up?

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 02:10:26 PM »
pepperdine just appointed ken starr as dean of the law school.

the school is affiliated with the church of christ, and is a deeply religious institution. according to the website "The School of Law, with a limited enrollment of 650 full-time students, provides an excellent legal education within a values-centered context."