Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara vs Pepperdine  (Read 2539 times)

Jan

• View Profile
Santa Clara vs Pepperdine
« on: March 27, 2004, 05:58:15 PM »
        Hello!  I am having a really hard time deciding between Santa Clara and Pepperdine.  I've gotten wait-listed at a bunch of higher-ranked schools, but I'm not counting on any of them right now.  I've narrowed it down to these two.  Santa Clara is lower tier 2 and seems to put a lot of emphasis on intellectual property law (I will soon have my PhD and want to practice patent law).  Pepperdine is tier 3 (they claimed during their new student day that they will be tier 2 within the next year or so but I don't know how they can know that so I don't trust it).  Pepperdine isn't so focused on intellectual property law BUT they are in the area I want to be in (Southern California).  Does anyone know anything about either of these schools- why I should or should not go to them?  Would my job prospects be any different depending on which one I go to, or are they really about the same?  Would law firms even care if I had many classes in IP law?  Also...if I haven't heard from a few schools right now would you agree that it's a bad sign?  Sorry for the long post...I am SO confused right now!  Thanks for any advice you can give!  :)

thechoson

Re: Santa Clara vs Pepperdine
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 06:53:52 PM »
Santa Clara is very good for IP.  If you are deadset on IP, you should go to Santa Clara.  You should also consider any scholarships you get.  Both schools are expensive as heck, for both tuition and living expenses.  If you don't get any money from either, I'd definitely spring for Santa Clara.
Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck with your decisions!

CaliforniaLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 07:08:22 PM »
Hi Jan,

Congratulations!  It's funny that a school would make a claim that they expect to be rated a tier 2 school soon. 

I also have two choices..Santa Clara & UOP McGeorge.  McGeorge has offered a $15K/year scholarship for all three years if I stay in the top 30% of the class.  That would cut my tuition in half.  Santa Clara is offering no financial incentive. 

I have a BA in Microbiology and ten years of work experience at a biotech company.  My interests are corporate, financial, & IP law. 

After making my lists of Pros & Cons, I believe that SCU would be the better choice.  Its IP program is ranked 9 in the nation.  Stanford is ranked 8.  The school is located in Silicon Valley & Biotech Bay.  For a biology person, South San Francisco & Mountain View are perfect places to look for summer positions or a career after graduation.  SCU recognize the importance of biotech and offers a biotech fellowship. 

LA really lacks a biotech community.  Pepperdine doesn't seem to meet your needs..biotech IP lawyer.

I will be making my deposit at SCU.  Fortunately, I have friends in the Bay Area who were able to put me in contact with their friends who went to SCU School of Law.  Most are very successful and feel they can compete with students from Boalt & Stanford.

Best of luck.

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »
Callaw,
What were your numbers, if you don't mind me asking..

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 08:55:13 PM »
Go to Santa Clara -- it's a no brainer based on your IP desires and background.  I don't see Pepperdine in Tier2 any time in the near future.  Who do they think is going to drop out of the top 100 anyway?

Congrats, and best of luck.

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 10:25:33 PM »
Santa Clara seems to be extremely stingy , for some reason.  I have heard of NO ONE who's gotten money from them!  For a LOW second tier, you'd think they'd dish out more dough

chica1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 01:20:48 AM »
Santa Clara isn't THAT stingy... I just received word that they are offering me a $15,000 Law Faculty Scholarship (renewable). Also, according to their website, they are offer many different types of scholarships and prizes that people can qualify for.
http://www.scu.edu/law/admissions/aid_scholarships.html
Now I'm just torn.. do I take the money and go there or go to Hastings with LOTS of loans?

thechoson

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 01:21:17 AM »
What were your numbers, chica?

chica1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 01:33:34 AM »
My numbers aren't really that great -- 3.67 GPA from Stanford, and a 154 on the LSAT.  I took the LSAT when I was a senior about three years, and decided I would be a stronger candidate if I worked. So I've been working at a really great non-profit since 2001. 

Jan, sorry to divert the conversation away from Santa Clara v Pepperdine. Definitely go to Santa Clara for IP; the program is well respected and you'd be in the center of the Silicon Valley. You'd probably get some great summer internships that could lead to a full time position after graduation. If you're still not sure, visit the schools and see if the admissions office can match you up to shadow a student with your same interests who could answer some of your questions. Good luck to you, but I hope to see you in the fall!!
 :)

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 02:28:13 AM »
Make sure you consider the conservative views of Pepperdine in your decision, but you probably know more than me about them.