Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ of St Thomas Law  (Read 2493 times)

sheaday

• View Profile
Univ of St Thomas Law
« on: October 16, 2004, 09:33:22 PM »
I went to a forum today and received info from the University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  I looked at the US News site and I can't find what tier they are in.  Does anyone know?
And does anyone know about the school in general? I had never heard of it.
I talked to the rep. at the forum and liked what she had to say and I plan on applying since it's free for online.

Thanks.  :)

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
Re: Univ of St Thomas Law
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 05:57:40 PM »
Are you sure its ABA Accreditied? If it isn't USN does not rank it.

sheaday

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 03:02:34 AM »
I just checked the official guide to ABA approved schools- U of St. Thomas is provisonally approved since 2003.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 10:00:53 AM »
I went to the school for undergrad, the law school is very new, they shelled out the big bucks and hired alot of faculties.

The dean was from notre dame, i think.

the law school building is very nice, but the school is too new IMO, that's why I'm not applying there.

Also, it's sorta into the "faith" stuff, which I'm not into.

here's a link:

http://www.stthomas.edu/law/

:)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 01:41:42 AM »
Yep, that's right.  University of St. Thomas is provisionally approved.  According to their website, those who graduate from their law school before it's been fully approved will reap all the benefits of having gone to an ABA law school after it actually has been approved.  I'm too paranoid to apply to a school that's not completely approved yet, though.  I did however take my LSAT there, and I can tell you that the campus is gorgeous, if a bit small (I'm talking about the St. Paul campus, though.  I haven't been to the Minneapolis one, unfortunately).  My brother's looking at that as his second choice for undergrad, I think.

&yes, I believe it's a Catholic institution; there was a big church near where I took my LSAT.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 01:34:50 PM »
Yep, that's right.  University of St. Thomas is provisionally approved.  According to their website, those who graduate from their law school before it's been fully approved will reap all the benefits of having gone to an ABA law school after it actually has been approved.  I'm too paranoid to apply to a school that's not completely approved yet, though.  I did however take my LSAT there, and I can tell you that the campus is gorgeous, if a bit small (I'm talking about the St. Paul campus, though.  I haven't been to the Minneapolis one, unfortunately).  My brother's looking at that as his second choice for undergrad, I think.

&yes, I believe it's a Catholic institution; there was a big church near where I took my LSAT.

yeah, I'm taking my LSAT at the st paul campus as well [in december].

Matokah, did you go to college in the twin cities?

p

• Sr. Citizen
  • "It's like raaiinnn.."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 06:38:42 PM »
St. Thomas(Undergrad and Grad) are Catholic schools. The one reason to consider it would be if you wanted to practice in Minnesota. I know someone who is an 2L there and has many job opportunities and a great gpa/class rank with moderately low effort. He also got a huge scholarship. If you have no desire to live in Minnesota and establish your career there, going to St. Thomas would be bad and the cold weather can definitely be a drag.
The Mpls campus is gorgeous too and they have a skyway(definite plus for downtown Mpls).

"Children? If I have to have they'll make a great holiday party accessory. Oh, they can put coats away and stuff."

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 06:42:42 PM »
I think the school gives you full ride with a high LSAT score.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 11:33:50 PM »

The room I was in was nice.  They split us up into groups of 30 and my proctor was very considerate and non-bitchy.

Yes, I'm biding my time for another semester at the U of MN (majors: Jewish Studies, Religious Studies, Psychology and minor in Hebrew), finishing up my honors thesis and working as a TA.  Fun times.  I need to get out of MN before I go insane.  I am such a baby about the weather here.

Are you also going to school somewhere here?
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 01:22:50 AM »

The room I was in was nice.  They split us up into groups of 30 and my proctor was very considerate and non-bitchy.

Yes, I'm biding my time for another semester at the U of MN (majors: Jewish Studies, Religious Studies, Psychology and minor in Hebrew), finishing up my honors thesis and working as a TA.  Fun times.  I need to get out of MN before I go insane.  I am such a baby about the weather here.

Are you also going to school somewhere here?

graduated last december from st thomas, finance major.

now taking the LSAT in a month....stressful times  :)

your majors sounds very interesting.......