Law School Discussion

first practice test = 155...i'm REALLY bad at games

M2

first practice test = 155...i'm REALLY bad at games
« on: March 27, 2004, 01:07:36 PM »
ok I took my first practice test, and I scored a 155.

I would have done MUCH better if i had gotten more of the logic game questions. I only got 7 out of 24 in that section!!!
Note I did not guess at any of the LG questions...I left some blank and counted them as wrong, because I wanted to get a worse case scenario...in reality I suppose that I could expect 20% of those guesses to be correct which would have raised my score a tiny bit...

Does anyone think it is possible for me to greatly improve my logic games score, between now and June?
If I would have gotten 17/24 right i would have scored a 161...

At least I know what my main focus should be... :-\

Is this horrible for a first attempt?

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: first practice test = 155...i'm REALLY bad at games
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »
Oh yeah. 17/24 from 7/24 might be a tall order though, but shoot for it.

I came from about 5/24 to roughly 14/24.

Don't neglect the ability you have to ace the other sections; especially when a certain section occurs twice. Studying that section will pay off double.

Home study from practice of 150 to 164 1st LSAT.
PEECE.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:50:33 PM »
Logic games is the most coachable, least intuitive section of the test.  Dramatic improvement is easiest realized on this section.  I went from 54% (must have been like 14/26) to 20/23 on the real thing.  But make sure to master the arguments section because there are roughly 50 of those question on the test compared to roughly 25 of the other two sections.

blizzard of ozz

• 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 03:41:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much. My first practice test was a 152. Just study your ass off. Take lots of REAL LSAT tests. My games score was less than stellar too.

btw a 3.4 in comp sci isn't that bad. most LS's don't really care where you graduated from.

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 04:02:35 PM »
My first practice was 149.  I scored a 165 on the real deal, so it's no big concern

M2

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 05:05:31 PM »
I just worked through all the problem I missed...I just can't believe how stupid some of my mistakes were... hopefully that's a good sign. I'm taking another practice one on Wednesday.. (2/week until june-lsat), so i will see if I do any better.

dta

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 12:46:03 AM »
yeah - i too have gotten all obsessed with it. my main concern? That i'll blow my wad and use up all my prep material too soon. Gotta pace myself and save a lot of tests for the last month.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 07:00:40 AM »
I think a word of caution is in order based on the 500 or so posts I've read on the subject (but again just my $.02!!)  2 1/2 months is NOT considered a lot of time to study for the LSAT.  Of course that somewhat depends on where you are starting out score-wise.  However, there are MANY posts by those who under estimated the test and paid for it when they get their score. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 09:28:22 AM »
I dont think the amount of calendar days you use to study is as important as the number of hours you put in studying.

i started early in order to pace myself.  and not wanting to use anything but actual LSATs to practice on, i found i could only do a timed section a day without running out of prep material at the end.

im glad to see some other people are actually studying for the june test.  i remember when i started posting on here a little over a month ago, nobody had much to say.

It doesnt sound like dta or m2 are underestimating the test either.  there is no better prep then taking timed actual LSATs, unless you are very weak on a particular section and need other help.

dta

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 03:47:50 PM »
It sounds like you're not taking a prep course nm. That is, of course, totally reasonable especially considering the amount of self guided study you're doing. One thing I would mention though is, at least a few times before the test, to create as real a scenario as possible for some of your practice exams.

I took my first proctored exam w/ PR last saturday. People sitting right next to me. Caughing. Sneezing. A stupid lady saying "bless you" every time some one sneezed. The sound of people erasing away furiously. The proctor giving no time in-between sections (i usually take a 90 second break at home). The annoying fact that i'm the only > 30 year old in the room. The brewing adrenalin rush cause it feels kinda real and official.

All of those psychological factors are present in a proctored environment that aren't present when practicing on your own. So, I would just really recommend to try and take some of your practice exams in as realistic, or in as harsh, an environment as you can. Maybe take an exam in a noisy bus-station or something. Maybe ask a friend to come along and proctor it for you and be a real hard-ass and not give you any time in-between sections. Just knowing you're NOT in control of when you start the next section is a HUGE psychological factor.