Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: first practice test = 155...i'm REALLY bad at games  (Read 3069 times)

M2

first practice test = 155...i'm REALLY bad at games
« on: March 27, 2004, 03:07:36 PM »
ok I took my first practice test, and I scored a 155.

I would have done MUCH better if i had gotten more of the logic game questions. I only got 7 out of 24 in that section!!!
Note I did not guess at any of the LG questions...I left some blank and counted them as wrong, because I wanted to get a worse case scenario...in reality I suppose that I could expect 20% of those guesses to be correct which would have raised my score a tiny bit...

Does anyone think it is possible for me to greatly improve my logic games score, between now and June?
If I would have gotten 17/24 right i would have scored a 161...

At least I know what my main focus should be... :-\

Is this horrible for a first attempt?

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: first practice test = 155...i'm REALLY bad at games
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 03:26:00 PM »
Oh yeah. 17/24 from 7/24 might be a tall order though, but shoot for it.

I came from about 5/24 to roughly 14/24.

Don't neglect the ability you have to ace the other sections; especially when a certain section occurs twice. Studying that section will pay off double.

Home study from practice of 150 to 164 1st LSAT.
PEECE.

bastage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »
The Logic Games Bible from PowerScore (I think that's the name).
It was an excellent guide on the logic games, but you have to practice, practice, practice.

M2

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 03:54:59 PM »
thanks for the replies...

bastage,

thanks i actually just ordered it. I pla nto study MANY hours per week. I ordered 20 practice test, and i plan to order the other individual ones...I want to take them all before June. I have a 3.4 UGPA in Comp Sci from a relatively unknown state university...so i really need a high score

Also...it's strange because I did well in the games section of Nova's master the LSAT book...but then horrible in the practice test...I guess i should revisit the techniques.

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 04:50:33 PM »
Logic games is the most coachable, least intuitive section of the test.  Dramatic improvement is easiest realized on this section.  I went from 54% (must have been like 14/26) to 20/23 on the real thing.  But make sure to master the arguments section because there are roughly 50 of those question on the test compared to roughly 25 of the other two sections.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 05:41:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much. My first practice test was a 152. Just study your ass off. Take lots of REAL LSAT tests. My games score was less than stellar too.

btw a 3.4 in comp sci isn't that bad. most LS's don't really care where you graduated from.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 06:02:35 PM »
My first practice was 149.  I scored a 165 on the real deal, so it's no big concern

M2

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 07:05:31 PM »
I just worked through all the problem I missed...I just can't believe how stupid some of my mistakes were... hopefully that's a good sign. I'm taking another practice one on Wednesday.. (2/week until june-lsat), so i will see if I do any better.

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 09:50:01 AM »
M2, judging from your score, you stink at games.  just like i do ;).

but take heart.  i was missing between 9-12 questions per games section initially, but have improved considerably.

your plan sounds like a good one.  but i would also reccomend getting the logic games bible.  work thru it prior to beginning your practice on actual LSATs.  i was astounded at how helpful the approaches for tackling games were in this book, but when i began practice on timed sections, i found under the pressure, i would get away from the methods i had learned.

but after i crossed the 10 games section threshhold, something happened.  i began getting better then 3/4 of the questions right in timed sections, and even much better. all i can say is that i gradually saw similarities in the games that helped me to get thru them quicker.  i also became more aware of my tendency to transpose rules. 

anyway, best of luck, and let us know how you do.  i broke 170 on my last 2 full LSATs, and with about 25 full tests left to take, i am feeling pretty good.

M2

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 01:57:46 AM »
nathanielmark,

Wow...and I though I was prepping early...you're already through the game-bible...
I ordered it last night, along with "10 more actual  official LSATs.." or whatever its called...

The LSAT has become a challenge for me, I really want to conquer it. I have become obsessed with getting inside the question writer's heads. I know a few people who havent even taken a practice one yet, but plan to take the LSAT in june...so I guess im not in too bad of shape.