Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings Director of Admissions Akira Shiroma, JD.  (Read 2376 times)

Yellow Snow

• View Profile
Hastings Director of Admissions Akira Shiroma, JD.
« on: March 27, 2004, 01:47:49 PM »
Has anyone ever talked  with this guy? Was he personable? Did you get the impression he is from Japan (his name is Japanese) or raised in America?

I ask because I speak Japanese and I am considering calling him up for a chat. It would be a huge help if I knew, I don't want to bust out in Japanese if he doesn't speak it.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings Director of Admissions Akira Shiroma, JD.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 02:05:06 PM »
I would recommend speaking to him in English--regardless of him knowing how to speak Japanese.  You don't want to sound too casual with the man.  If you're already accepted, then maybe speaking Japanese wouldn't be such a big deal.  He might even like it because as a Dean of Admissions, I'm sure he wants to get very personable with his posisble students.  However, if you haven't gotten in yet, don't speak Japanese to the man.  It might look like a little desperate or that you want to suck up.  But I could be very, very wrong :)   
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:54:16 PM »
I fully agree speaking japanese would be major ass kissing, unless youre already accepted

chica1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 01:54:36 AM »
I actually met him today at the UC Hastings Admitted Students Day. I was waiting for a friend and found myself standing alone and talking with him in the Main Lobby as he was waiting to direct students to lunch. He is a SUPER NICE and friendly guy, and at the reception at the end of the day, he was sitting with a group of admitted students drinking a coke. Perhaps only one of his parents is Japanese because he looked like your typical big American football player kind of guy. (In fact, If I hadn't seen his name tag I would have never guessed he was Japanese.) I think I'd recommend sticking to English!!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 03:51:42 AM »
this is completely off topic, sorry, but how were the students dressed at Hasting's Admitted Student's Day?
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

chica1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 02:29:01 PM »
The students were in all sorts of different styles. I think it's funny how you can tell who has been out of school for a while and who's still an undergrad. The students I met who are currently working mostly all wore khakis/nice pants and either polos (men) or nice tops (women). Like my friend said, "We look like we just walked out of the GAP."  Most of the still in school admits wore jeans, flip-flops, T-shirts, and the give away, backpacks. 
I would recommend dressing on the nicer end because:  1) you blend in more with the regular law students, none of whom were wearing flip-flops. Even with nice jeans, they wore a dress shirts, sometimes with sleeves rolled up (men) or a sweater(women) and ALL law school guys I saw were wearing dress shoes.  2) you might end up talking up with the Dean (like I found myself unexpectedly) or a professor, and you definitely don't want to be showing half your stomach then. hee hee...