7 (30.4%)
No
 16 (69.6%)
Other (explain)
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: .  (Read 1289 times)

lexylit

Re: Lies in a PS... should i tell on them?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 08:12:05 PM »
here's a thought--

if he's as much of a tool as he sounds like he is, it's probably a crappy PS. if he isn't a brilliant storyteller, my guess is his story won't ring true anyway. people who aren't serious writers but have to write about themselves are usually effective only when they're honest, and he isn't just fudging-- he made a whole story up.

the PS won't be good enough to give him any boost over you, or any boost over the reception his app would have gotten had he written a more honest personal statement. it's nothing for you to worry about-- he's only hurting himself.

don't sweat it. let him look silly all by himself. ;)

muyaha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 08:16:50 PM »
he'll look even more silly if they check the facts of his PS.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 09:20:32 PM »
It makes perfect sense.  The law school isn't keeping applications.  YOU should be keeping copies of *your* applications.

that doesn't really make sense though.
Every law school cant keep ALL applications

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 09:37:52 PM »
The kid has similar numbers to me: please rat on him immediately.

jaxon

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 11:37:42 PM »
this type of stuff usually comes back to people in my experience.  i would not say anything because your motives are wrong.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 01:40:19 AM »
i guess i'm the only one that wouldn't tell on him for fear of my own safety?  what if he finds out it was you and beats the *&^% out of you?

i still vote for keeping your mouth shut, regardless of reason.  plus the whole karma thing.  it's really bad to lie about someone's death of all things.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

NewInTown

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 01:43:27 AM »
That is VERY close to my numbers too...what schools ??

I would rather not tell but lets just say in the  South.

muyaha

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 03:03:00 AM »
oh *&^%!! check this out!!!

I found this on wakeforest's site

"You should keep copies of all law school applications.
Some state bars will request these when you apply to
take a bar exam"

So that means he could be really screwed

I'd be sneaky and tell this to everyone at the study group... as in " Hey guys guess what I found out...."   HAHA see this guy start sweating bullets.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 117686925
    • MSN Messenger - Pikeman85@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Pikeman852003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 03:47:56 AM »
I don't see a way that you /could/ tell on him, but if you could, I feel you should.

I don't hold with the mentality that you'd be "tatteling". You're fixing the situation and enforcing the rules. Something a lawyer should strive to do, if at all possible, in my opinion. Also, your selfish motives are perfectly justified. Why should you have to suffer  for his lie? Or anyone else for that matter?

I don't believe in karma, so I feel that humanity has to be self policing. You want someone dealt with, you do it yourself. I don't know how you'd alert people to it subtly, but while this isn't quite intellectual dishonesty, it's damn close in my opinion, and should definitely be punished.
Mr. Verbosity!

marymountfort

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 09:11:33 AM »
I don't think you should tell on him.

1. Have you read his PS? If it turns out that he didn't mention the dying fiancee in it, you will be embarrassed by your email unless you do it anonymously.

2. If your enemy needs to make up a story to impress the adcomms, the behaviour itself proves that he is ignorant, immature and unconfident. The adcomms are professionals in judging students, thus it is very possible that they smell the rat in his applications.

3. Did he tell you his "secret" believing that you were his friend? If so, I feel sad for him.

4. With your numbers, you will go to a decent law school, which is a good beginning of your career. You make your own future, not him, not the law school.