Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm Retarded  (Read 318 times)

TheDecline

I'm Retarded
« on: October 15, 2004, 06:29:42 PM »

Bush 'Retarded' Ad Causes Firestorm

What some might consider an offensive political flier has caused quite a stir.

The ad shows a photo of a Special Olympics athlete running a race. Superimposed over his face is President Bush's.  On the flier is the text: "Voting for Bush is Like Running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."

Copies of the flier were said to have been found in the office trash of Tennessee state Democratic Rep. Craig Fitzhugh.

Fitzhugh denies the allegation.

"First of all, it wasn't in my headquarters, it was in the local Democratic headquarters that has other candidates there as well, and we don't know who left the flier there," Fitzhugh told FOX News on Friday.

"We do know that the volunteers in the campaign headquarters took it out on the street in a city-owned trash container and threw it away," he added, "and shortly thereafter a gentleman came by and retrieved it and took it to [his opponent's] headquarters, and that's when it was distributed worldwide over the Internet without checking with anybody, and that's when I was accused of having something to do with it.

"The facts clearly show now that's not the case, but the damage has been done to me and my family," he continued.

Fitzhugh's Republican challenger, Dave Dahl, said he didn't believe his opponent personally produced the flier or had anything to do with distributing it.

"The fact still remains that this flier was in his campaign headquarters and someone distributed the flier," Dahl told FOX News. "It's an egregious thing to portray these special-needs kids in this way."

Fitzhugh said Dahl and other Republicans distributed the flier without any formal inquiry as to whether Fitzhugh had anything to do with it.

"I did not, and would not in any way, have anything to do with such a terrible piece of literature," Fitzhugh repeated. "Not even literature. A piece of trash."

Dahl denied circulating the flier, saying it was already out and about. Four different copies of it were sent to the Lauderdale County Republican headquarters, as well, he said.

"We began checking to see where it emanated from, and everyone said that it came from the Lauderdale County Democratic headquarters, which Mr. Fitzhugh shares," Dahl said. "It's less than 60 feet from the bank where he's the chairman of the board."