Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prep books that use Actual LSAT questions. good or bad? (Master, game bible etc)  (Read 1932 times)

M2

I have been using NOVA's master the LSAT and it has helped me a great deal...I am concerned however  about one thing...

Every few sections they will have a problem "that appeared on a previous actual LSAT". Doesn't this seem like a bad idea? Now  when I take practice LSATs i will inevitably see a few questions that I have already worked through.

Anyone else share this concern?

i was going to purchase the logic games bible but it uses 25 games from actual LSATs...
I am taking hte LSAT in june, maybe I should wait until I have already taken 10-15 practice LSATs before digging into the logica games bible...
And maybe I should skip the "actual LSAT" question in the Nova book?

Any thoughts?

Mark

ruskiegirl

I have to disagree.  I preferred books that used actual LSAT questions.  You don't want to waste your time working on question types you will never see on the LSAT.  The first book I used didn't have ANY real LSAT questions, and it wasn't until I started working with actual LSAT questions that I realized how much of a waste of time that book was.  Many of these books feature questions types that NEVER have and likely never will appear on an actual LSAT. 

As far as your concern with repetition within your study materials, I don't think it will be much of a problem.  I worked with the Games Bible and the 25 actual LSAT's and don't seem to recall any overlap.  If there was ANY, it was so minimal that I failed to notice it. 

Also, it is not a bad idea to rework problems you have already solved once.  It helps ensure that you are mastering the concepts and are consistent with your deductions.

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi,

This is just my suggestion.  I've also bought Nova, but so far I've only went through their techniques and 1-2 questions that they have to illustrate the types of problems.  I didn't do any of their exercises yet because I know those are real LSAT questions.  I think the bad thing about that is you won't be able to get an accurate measure of how much time you actually need to finish an LSAT.  Assuming you've mastered that question while studying the book, definitely you'll require less time doing it on the actual LSAT.  Instead what I'm planning to do is do the actual LSAT first, and then go through the book to see if there are explanations for the ones that I've done incorrectly.  Um..bad thing about this approach is it will require some extra time, but at least, you won't be frustrasted when you see the same questions again on the actual LSAT.

Hope this helps.

dta

Hey M2. I had precisely your same concerns. I put the book down and haven't touched it since I saw precisely what you mentioned. I've got several other good books with simulation questions i've prepped w/ (kaplan, pr, rea, barron's) that won't "spoil" my practice tests I take on previously released LSAT's. I might look at the Nova book again in the last week before the exam, but it's too much of a spoiler to use now.

M2

thanks for the replies everyone.

I think what I will do is just skip the questions that say "this was on a previous LSAT", because I really like the NOVA book, and want to continue using it.

Also, Maybe I wont use the game bible till the month before the test...or until I have taken a decent amoutn of practice LSATs

ruskiegirl

I would recommend using the Game Bible earlier because the techniques take some time to master.  Also, the first half of the book doesn't even include any complete games, because it focuses on teaching you how to set up the games rather than how to solve a complete game. 

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Having just finished the book, I agree. I was frankly a lot more concerned with just understanding how to do the damn games than worrying about whether I might see one or two in practice. I am extremely happy I didn't wait until later to start digesting this stuff because to really use it well you have to make it second nature. 

Ruskiegirl's right--the first complete game doesn't appear until page 63.

I would recommend using the Game Bible earlier because the techniques take some time to master.  Also, the first half of the book doesn't even include any complete games, because it focuses on teaching you how to set up the games rather than how to solve a complete game.