Law School Discussion

Dirty Republican Tricks

buster

Re: Dirty Republican Tricks
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 02:03:03 PM »
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I would assume that both are illegal already.

In the case of the first, there have been recent reports from former employees of a Republican-funded voter registration company about doing just that.

In the case of the second, it was done in New Hampshire in the 2002 elections and criminal proceedings are moving forward. (One of the primary figures in the incident, BTW, is now the head of BC04's New England operations.)

buster, aren't both those things illegal already?

Anyway, I only said that just because it's unethical doesn't mean it should be illegal, but obviously some unethical things should be, and are, illegal (for example, murder, extortion, theft).

FSF17

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 02:20:04 PM »
I'll give you the Nader-helping. It's distasteful but clever, and I don't see any reason it should be disallowed.

Regarding Fahrenheit 911, though, there is a big difference between "people promoting it" and it being shown on broadcast television days before the election. (I am torn regarding it being shown in high schools -- was that a hypothetical?) And your statement rests on the assumption that Stolen Honor is "true in content." Given the track record of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth thus far, that seems a rather shaky proposition.

What is immoral about Republicans helping Nader get on the ballot? Nader wants to run, Democrats won't help him, Republicans will, and it gives people another option on the ballot. You know very well that if a right-leaning 3rd party candidate emerged, you dems would be more than willing to help him get on the ballot.

About the documentary demeaning to Kerry: if it is true in content, then there's nothing wrong with it. And I don't think Stern is off the air because he told "fart jokes." Get a clue.

Maybe now you know how Republicans feel when people promote Far. 9/11, or even when high schools show it to their students! The difference is Moore's film is full of deception and blatant bias. We'll just have to see how this documentary is.

No, they had a guy on Fox news the other night whose son went to a high school at which F9/11 was shown in an English calss.

I understand that Republicans may be motivated by Republican gains when they promote Nader, but they aren't breaking any laws. Instead, they are utilizing a tool that is available to them. It's like saying that a cub scout who helps an old lady cross the street is immoral because he's doing it for a merit badge. There is nothing wrong with it.

amarain

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 02:21:24 PM »
oh ok, buster, I wasn't sure if that was for me or just to everyone.

But wow. I hadn't heard about either of those. Despicable.

buster

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 02:31:59 PM »
Okay. As I said, I'm ambivalent about that but I could certainly understand someone objecting to it.

No, they had a guy on Fox news the other night whose son went to a high school at which F9/11 was shown in an English calss.

I gave it to you, and I'm not taking it back, but that's a god-awful analogy. It's more like saying that the cub scout is immoral because he helped an old lady cross the street because someone offered him money to do it.

It's like saying that a cub scout who helps an old lady cross the street is immoral because he's doing it for a merit badge. There is nothing wrong with it.

gobears

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 03:00:49 PM »
Seriously I think both Dems and Reps each have had their own fair share of "dirty politics."  For a while I was actually thinking of voting for Nader as sort of a vote against both parties.  But I think I'm not going to do that anymore 'cos I don't really like Nader either.

FSF17

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 03:02:11 PM »
Okay. As I said, I'm ambivalent about that but I could certainly understand someone objecting to it.

I gave it to you, and I'm not taking it back, but that's a god-awful analogy. It's more like saying that the cub scout is immoral because he helped an old lady cross the street because someone offered him money to do it.

It's like saying that a cub scout who helps an old lady cross the street is immoral because he's doing it for a merit badge. There is nothing wrong with it.

I don't see it as immoral for the cub scout to do it for money either, and it was actually a fairly decent analogy.

buster

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 04:35:30 PM »
I don't think it's immoral for the cub scout to do it for money either. As for your analogy...you're right, it was much better than I thought at first glance. Both our analogies, however, leave out the part of the story where the cub scout told the old lady he was doing it to help her.

I don't see it as immoral for the cub scout to do it for money either, and it was actually a fairly decent analogy.

FSF17

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2004, 07:29:14 PM »
I don't think it's immoral for the cub scout to do it for money either. As for your analogy...you're right, it was much better than I thought at first glance. Both our analogies, however, leave out the part of the story where the cub scout told the old lady he was doing it to help her.

You're right... I guess we can conclude that it is bad to do it and lie about your motives.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 06:58:23 AM »
sheesh, some things just dont change...