Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: straight talk on law schools  (Read 3886 times)

Quarry_Girl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: straight talk on law schools
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2003, 05:51:34 AM »
The feedback that I have received from practicing attorneys - is that if the school you are attending is offering this program...definitely to take advantage of that opportunity ( if you have the desire) because it has been there opinion ( attorneys presently at law firms and have been practicing for 15 - 20 years)...that this is a definite plus!

west coast

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2003, 07:10:34 PM »
From a lawyers point of view...the JD/MBA can actually hurt you for 2 reasons. 1) It weakens your JD.  You will not take all of the JD courses in most JD/MBA programs and a lot of employers see the joint degree as actually a 2/3 JD.  This will hurt you in many law intensive jobs. 2) It weakens your MBA.  If you want to get into business get a complete and full MBA. If you want to get into business law, your JD education will more than suffice.  The JD/MBA is a fad that will be outgrown soon and those stuck with joint degrees will suffer in the job market in the long run because they have semi-degrees in both but not a strong degree in either/or.

mansah

BU vs Vandy..help
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 05:01:27 PM »
Does anyone have anything more to say re: Vandy vs BU?  I visited both a few times and really love Vandy.  I am from CT and want to live in NY or Boston.  I am torn bn the academic rep of Vandy and the apparent wider opportunities that Boston offers.  Will being a good student at Vandy give me the same opportunities in Boston as a good student in Boston will have?  What will I be giving up by going to BU rather than Vandy.  Vandy looked like it offered a more intimate academic environment and I could be focused etc.  Boston looked glorious and seemed to offer a lot.  (the physical state of BU did not bother me)  I am wondering how much the library has to offer.  It looked really tight.  Also, will a BU student looked dwarfed bcos of other schools like Harvard?  I am almost distressed about making this decision, and I need some wholesome advice.

meg_79

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 10:52:17 AM »
this may be limited in scope, but I think an MBA would help if you were interested in coporate/financial law. For example, my FIL is a corporate bankruptcy lawyer and he has a JD/MBA. I would think in this sort of position, this particular degree would be more desirable.

Dazed and Confused

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 09:55:36 PM »
Does anybody know of the advantages of the NYU JD/LLM in taxation. My stats are a 4.0 and 173. What are my chances of getting accepted?