Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how many is too many?  (Read 727 times)

theresa11

• View Profile
how many is too many?
« on: October 14, 2004, 09:46:06 PM »
How many letters can we submit to LSAC?  I read somewhere it's 3.  I don't really care what letter goes to who, I want all 4 to go to every school I apply to.  Will this be a problem?  Does anyone know for sure if there is a 3 letter limit....this just sounds ridiculous to be true.

*thanks*
waiting for Michigan

Lipper316

Re: how many is too many?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:16:06 PM »

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:35:25 AM »
lsac will not send more than 3.  And schools generally require 2, and will accpet/recommend 3.

Honestly, in all likelihood, no one's going to care enough about your app to read that 4th rec.  They have enough paper work and app materials to read through without you sending extras.

If you really want to put that 4th rec to good use, wait until/if you get waitlisted at a school.  Sometimes sending in something different will help in deciding who gets a spot off the waitlist, and it also shows more interest in the school on your part.(don't waste your time if they all just say how great you are.  Unless the rec brings somethign new to the table, it probably won't help)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 03:41:40 PM »
you can have four letters.  it used to be 3 but it changed.

Just got this off the LSAC website:

"Previously, LSAC would accept only one letter per recommender—up to three letters total—which were sent to law schools based on the order they were received. Now, a candidate may have up to four general letters on file in addition to numerous directed letters."
Attending: Texas

jaxon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 03:49:31 PM »
i think anything over 3 is in poor taste.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 04:21:46 PM »
You can go to the LSAC website and it will tell you exactly how many letters each school either requires or recommends and how many they will accept.  Most schools require/recommend a minimum of two.  Many will only accept three but others will accept up to four.
Here is the list:
http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=lsac/letters-of-recommendation.asp
In terms of how many to send in, use your best judgement.  If the school you want to go to accepts four LOR's and you have four really excellent LOR's that give deep insight into your abilities, then turn them all in.  However, keep in mind that the person reviewing your app is probably reviewing a couple of thousand other apps as well and might appreciate one or two fewer letters to read.
Attending: Texas