Law School Discussion

Writing Your Own Rec

inthesun

Re: Writing Your Own Rec
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 10:33:27 AM »
I am in the position where I have to write my own rec, too, but I am frozen.  I don't want to talk about how great I am and sound phony.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 08:08:21 PM »
yeah i'm sorta in the same position.

I asked a prof to write me a LOR, and he told me to write one first then he'll edit it and mail it.

But how the hell do I write a LOR?

I have no clue how to do that [other than saying I'm the second coming of elbert einstein/stephen hawkings...etc.
 ::)

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 08:54:56 AM »
I had to write my own LOR, I took some tips off of accepted.com as someone mentioned before... for those of you that couldnt get it, it's http://www.accepted.com/law/letter_rec.htm.  I also re-read a LOR one of my professors wrote for me and gave me a copy of, that way they kinda flowed together but didn't sound too similar.  I set it up like this:
A background of boss's career, how "he" is pleased to have worked with such a great employee, examples of good work, list a few good traits and how "he" thinks they'll be helpful while in law school, please take serious consideration.  The end.

Maybe I am just too conceited for this type of thing  ??? Ah well, now I just gotta hunt that lazy bastard boss down and get a signature.

hmm

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 01:15:30 PM »
I would ask him in general and see what he says.  Tell him you know he's swamped right now and if it would be helpful, you could put together some bullet points of things he could include.  At that point he may just ask you to draft the entire letter for him.  My old boss is also a politician in the middle of a campaign.  I knew he would want me to write the letter so I did what I thought would be good and told him he was welcome to change any part and that I would never see it, so if he thought I was coming on too strong he could change it.  Luckily he got it out a few weeks ago; unfortunately LSDAS has not processed it yet.

Anyway, I think it's fine to offer to write the whole thing or offer bullet point suggestions.  If you make it easy enough and he's okay with it, he can just put it on letterhead, sign and stick it in the mail and he should be able to get it out before Nov. 2.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 12:19:46 PM »
i too have to write a rec for my boss to edit and then send.  i am frozen.  i'm going to check out admitted.com.

mukhia, when exactly are u going to chicago.  i will be there the weekend of nov 3rd- nov 7th.  maybe since we didn't meet up in hong kong, we could meet there.  i have scheduled an interview, i'm sure it can only help. 

mukhia

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 03:09:07 PM »
Oooh - I was going to go next week, but I can reschedule with my friend for when you're in town!  That way you can meet with her also and bombard her with questions and perhaps even help me hold her bookbag through her classes!  PM me!

PS - she is loving NU!

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 04:37:58 PM »
If there is one thing that I have learned in the Army is that this is the way that busy professionals do business.  They need a format presented, generally already written, and you toss their signature block on the bottom and they sign it.
It's a valuable skill and has come in very handy.  I talk to a General, with a copy in my hand (or already in his email box) and then bang it's done.
You just have to be honest and play to your strengths.