Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Vice President's (And His Wife's) Shame  (Read 601 times)

jazkeys

• View Profile
The Vice President's (And His Wife's) Shame
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:45:14 PM »
I've gotta say that although I've come to expect just about anything from the Bush/Cheney camp, I was admittedly surprised to learn that male private part and Lynne Cheney attacked John Kerry for making a respectful comment about their daughter during last night's debate. Kerry referred to Mary Cheney when asked whether homosexuality is a choice:

"We're all God's children," he said. "And I think if you were to talk to male private part Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was. She's being who she was born as. I think if you talk to anybody, it's not a choice."

The communications director for Bush-Cheney, Nicolle Devenish, said Kerry "miscalculated the impact of his remarks" and now is "backpedaling from what is a crass, below-the-belt political strategy to attack the vice president's daughter."

She said his statement constituted "a political mistake that I think they'll pay a hefty price for."

To describe Kerry's respectful assertion that gays and lesbians are born as such (despite Bush's and other fundamentalist narrowmindedness that compels them to state as fact that people are homosexual by choice alone) as a personal "attack" on Mary Cheney is completely without merit, and smacks of nothing more than desperation. At no time did Kerry say anything negative about Mary Cheney, but male private part and Lynne are obviously so ashamed of their daughter ('cause they probably believe that she actually CHOSE to be That Way) that they themselves have now publicly held their own daughter's homosexuality up as some type of handicap (Lynne reacted as though Mary was learning-disabled instead of gay and Kerry had directly called her a "retard").

I am continually dismayed that even now in the 21st Century, this kind of shameful holier-than-thou attitude permeates the Republican Party to the extent that the Vice President (and his wife) are willing to use their their perception of their own daughter's sexual orientation as a negative campaign tool.

The ONLY person who should be ashamed by all of this is Mary Cheney. I would be willing to bet a dollar that she was nothing but grateful for Kerry's comments, but her parents would rather publicly admit their shame about her than support her for the wonderful person she is REGARDLESS of her sexual orientation.

These are truly disgusting people.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Vice President's (And His Wife's) Shame
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:44:56 PM »
I do have to admit that it was a calculated strategy to include Mary Cheney in Kerry's comments about the gay community.  However, I also think that the Cheneys overreacted and probably have a lot of grief over the issue.

FSF17

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:48:02 PM »
So you mean to tell me that you think Kerry didn't mention Cheney's gay daughter for political gain? He used Cheney's daughter's sexuality to make John Q. Christian think twice about voting for Bush... that's it. Though I didn't think it was as bad as most people do, you can't deny that it was a political move and was anything BUT respectful... unless, that is, Kerry asked Cheney's daughter if it would be OK beforehand.

TheDecline

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 10:59:20 PM »
Jazkeys-

I've got nothing against you and respect your opinion, but I'm just curious..why did you join this board?  You haven't posted anything even remotely related to law school. 

jazkeys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 07:15:43 PM »
Law school should not only be about analysis of specific legal precedent, but even more importantly, it should be about COMMUNICATION in general. I respect anyone's disagreement with anything in which I believe, but I DO believe that communicating our various opinions about the direction of our country is currently significantly more important than any discussion about interpretation of unrelated legal decisions. We stand at the most crucial political (AND LEGAL) juncture in decades, so I hope that this fact will be reason enough to justify all threads of discussion here.

Having said that, I must apologize for the way in which I ended my initial post. While I don't think they belong anywhere near the Oval Office, I should not have used such a nasty word to describe male private part and Lynne Cheney...my only excuse (feeble though it is) is that this particular thread came at the end of a long, hard day of much political discussion. The truth is that I AM (and believe everyone should be) disgusted by the Cheneys' actions. And I don't agree with FSF17's assertion that Kerry should have consulted with Mary Cheney before mentioning her during the debate. male private part Cheney has publicly acknowledged his daughter's sexual orientation, and if you watch Kerry's delivery of the statement in question (which I have now done -- thanks to TiVo -- in order to determine if I was out of line by starting this thread), you'll clearly see that his statement was not only respectful, but accurately depicts how the overwhelming majority of gays and lesbians view their own sexuality: It is NOT a choice.

Totalbs247 believes that Kerry's statement was a "calculated strategy", which it might very well have been (though having now watched Kerry's statement again, I don't believe that his response was anything but in the moment); however, even if I give the benefit of the doubt, I still don't see this strategy as being anything but respectful and positive. In other words, I don't agree with Totalbs247's implication that "calculated strategy" must automatically be a negative thing; otherwise, any attorney worth his/her salt would be spending all of their time preparing for trial developing nothing but negative strategy. And if that's all you're doing, then you're not doing anyone -- or the legal system itself -- any good at all.

TheDecline

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 07:18:04 PM »
Fair Enough.

lucky7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 08:08:11 PM »
I think it was political strategy. Mary Cheney is not running for president, and I think discussing the personal life of a cadidate's children is uncalled for. And it seems to me that the Cheneys have supported their daughter. They haven't hidden her away or avoided talking about her. In fact, she was at the vp debates, on stage, with her partner.