Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Too Political?  (Read 467 times)

ariom

• View Profile
Too Political?
« on: October 14, 2004, 02:23:30 PM »
Is it okay to include my experiences at anti-war protests in my personal statement?

Garbled

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Too Political?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 02:26:51 PM »
Is it okay to include my experiences at anti-war protests in my personal statement?

depends what you say and how you approach it, but it sounds like it has the potential to be way too political.

ariom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 03:22:29 PM »
Well, I wan't to back up my claims that I want to work for social justice, so that I don't look like I'm just trying to woo adcoms.  I did want to comment that I would like to represent the indigent in criminal cases (public defender) and I would also like to provide representation for those who end up arrested and charged for trying to exercise their freedom of speech.

Jennaye

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 06:01:30 PM »
I don't think it's too political, I think it shows passion.  I'm going to include my anti-war activism in my personal statement.  Maybe explain a bit why you feel protests are a good way to advocate for social justice...

Garbled

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 06:33:43 PM »
Well, I wan't to back up my claims that I want to work for social justice, so that I don't look like I'm just trying to woo adcoms.  I did want to comment that I would like to represent the indigent in criminal cases (public defender) and I would also like to provide representation for those who end up arrested and charged for trying to exercise their freedom of speech.

That sounds awesome and will work great. My thoughts were only that you shouldn't be too polarized in one way or another in a PS. Doing that can backfire when people who don't agree with your view read your statement, but yours doesn't do that at all. Good luck!