PT vs FT law school

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
PT vs FT law school
« on: October 14, 2004, 10:23:05 AM »
I'm a senior in college and going through the whole process of applying to law schools now.  I went to a law school forum this past weekend and it really has me thinking about part time law school programs.  I have to be able to work since I'm on my own and have bills and tuition to pay.  I'm just worried about the quality of part time programs.  Not only are the LSAT and GPA averages lower for most part time programs, but course selection can't be as great as full time, right?  I'm a traditional student, 21 years old, going right from college, are there many other people in that group that go part time?  Help?

Michelle  ???

nathanielmark

Re: PT vs FT law school
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:00:10 AM »
it seems to me that you have the stated constraint of needing to maintain employment while going to law school, therefore, you have no choice but to attend part time.  i think you will be one of the younger students in a part time program, but in most PT programs, the class offerings are pretty similar.  also, the only problem PT students tend to have is not being able to do associateships(unless they quit there FT jobs to work in a firm in the summer, which is what i plan to do).

there is nothing wrong with going PT. if you can handle it and work hard, you should have similar prospects to comparable FT grads with less debt.

best of luck.

buddha

• View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:04:05 AM »
As a PT student let me share my impressions.  Going to law school pt and working FT sucks a rectum with a straw.  Especially if you're really passionate about the law and want to devote as much time as possible to its study.  If you have to go PT, do it.  If can borrow to cover living expenses, I think you should.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:55:32 AM »
As far as quality goes:

Part time programs usually have the same professors and class selection as a full time program. As tier3hopeful mentioned, its harder to get an assoicateship during summer since a lot of part timers also take classes during summer etc. But also remember that many great schools started as parttime programs and THEN started to offer fulltime.

"What do they call a part time student who slummed his way through georgetown?"...
"A georgetown grad"

ie...no one cares if you went fulltime or parttime after you have that damn piece of paper.

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 08:11:32 PM »
thanks for the great responses.  how many ft hours are you working though?  maybe there's a cut off point where working ft does not suck balls as much?  do you think 30 hrs/wk (which i'm doing now) would suck.  i don't have a typical 9-5 job, so maybe i won't get as burnt out.  i am expecting burnout though...i think i'm decided on PT then, since borrowing is a non-option.  THANK YOU!

there is nothing wrong with going PT. if you can handle it and work hard, you should have similar prospects to comparable FT grads with less debt.

ie...no one cares if you went fulltime or parttime after you have that damn piece of paper.

best of luck.

sounds like i now have a plan.... ;D

buddha

• View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 06:40:44 AM »
thanks for the great responses.  how many ft hours are you working though?  maybe there's a cut off point where working ft does not suck balls as much?  do you think 30 hrs/wk (which i'm doing now) would suck.  i don't have a typical 9-5 job, so maybe i won't get as burnt out.  i am expecting burnout though...i think i'm decided on PT then, since borrowing is a non-option.  THANK YOU!

I'm down to working 38.5 hours per week as opposed to 45-50 before law school. 

DESI

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 06:46:46 AM »
i've met a few practicing attorneys who did PT at GULC?  They worked at the USPTO by day, and the USPTO paid for law school at night.  They went straight to biglaw after graduation and now work in house.

It can be done.  But the situaiton I described is a bit unique and for patent bar eligible people only.

jaxon

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 08:10:53 AM »
i am planning on working 40 hour weeks.  it certainly can be done, but you will not have any time to do anything other then work and school.

best of luck.

sounds like i now have a plan.... ;D

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 10:58:59 AM »
The only school i applied to pt is gulc. Its sorta a 'backup' in case i really feel the urge to work or end up NEEDing to work during school.

Personally, i believe i do a lot better in school when i work, since the pressure is on yadda yadda, and i concentrate more on getting *&^% done, as opposed to lazying around procrastinating.

I'm relieved to hear about Desi's lawyer friends though...i was afraid that since pt 'can' mean less summer assoc opportunities...it would mean i would be assed out.

DESI

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 03:54:40 PM »
Ronin - the people I mentioned are not friends of mine, but practicioners that I have met at various professional mixers since moving here.  They are all about 10 years older than me, so I'm not qualified to speak about the current situation there at all.  That being said, if you're thinking about patent law then GULC PT is a good idea, though the USPTO is not paying for tuition these days.