Law School Discussion

Public Interest Fellowship

Public Interest Fellowship
« on: March 26, 2004, 06:24:56 AM »
Hey all, I just couldn't help but post this with excitement -- just informed yesterday by phone that I was given a full tuition scholarship for public interest work at American!  I can't believe it.  I know some other people were wondering about timelines for scholarships and for American, so here it is.  Now I just have to swallow my pride and say no to those higher ranked schools that would dig my grave in debt... right?  I hope this is the right decision.  It's a gorgeous school with incredibly strong departments in my field, but that old snobbery does keep pulling at me.  Support?  Am I crazy for choosing a lower ranked school, even with full tuition coverage?

Re: Public Interest Fellowship
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 06:37:09 AM »
No you are not crazy for choosing a "lower ranked" school.  It's all about what school you feel will mold you into the best attorney/professional.  I am proud of you for not getting caught up in the rankings game.  That takes true character.  I myself have been accepted into a few "lower ranked" schools with full scholarships & stipends.  I have visited all of the higher and lower ranked schools that I have been accepted to, and I honestly feel that I will be better off at the "lower ranked" schools.  The faculty, students, alum, etc have been so genuine.  And that's not easy to find at a law school.  American is a great law school.  Go there and have fun. Congratulations!

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 06:45:45 AM »
Thank you so much for that, honestly.  It means a lot to me; it is so challenging to maintain your integrity in this commodified process of selling oneself and buying an education. I feel a little dumb for fishing for support on here, but most of the people in my life don't know enough about law school to offer much in the way of specifics. Best of luck to you.  Thanks. 

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 11:59:20 AM »
that is so awesome!!! Graduating debt free will give you so many more options if public interest is you passion.  Now go fight the injustices of the world....Congrats!