Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: mispelled my last name  (Read 907 times)

Natasha

• View Profile
mispelled my last name
« on: October 13, 2004, 02:37:16 PM »
My professor sent me a copy of my LOR, I didn't ask him to but he did anyway. In the very first sentence he mispelled my last name, put an R instead of L. I don't know how noticable it is, except to me, but I do have  an uncommon last name. He knows me really well and it was just a simple typo. But do you think it might hurt me or look bad, or will law schools not notice.

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
Re: mispelled my last name
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »
Youre doomed....your recommender didnt proofreed his rec??  he must really care about you ;)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:59:28 PM »
mine TOO!!!!

but it was an obvious typo ... cause he spelt it correctly like 5 other spots in the recommendation.  I don't think its a big deal.  Actually, this is the least of my worries.

Soprano

• HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE THE FAMILY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 03:00:13 PM »
I think it may bother some admissions people but not others since your last name is uncommon.  People that write LORs should know the applicant extremely well.  It could be looked down upon by an admissions person that the LOR writer doesn't even know how to spell your last name.  If the LOR writer has not send the letter to LSAC, ask him/her to make the correction if you know the writter will not be offended.

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 03:36:10 PM »
See this is what pisses me off. He does know me extremely well, my dad even taught in the same deptartment as him plus I was like the best student in his class. Also when he title the document he spelt it correctly. It is a good recommendation so I hate to toss it based on a stupid mistake. Maybe I should right an addendum explaining that professor really does know how to spell my last name  :P

If he already sent it in, can he call LSAC and ask them to change it?

alannauf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 03:49:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Adcomms realize these people are busy and make mistakes every once in a while. It's not like he screwed up what letter you got in his class or something. Just take a deep breath and focus your energy on more important aspects of the admissions process.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 03:56:17 PM »
If he spelled your name correctly in the very beginning, then obviously the misspelling is a typo.  You aren't going to be rejected for a professor's typo.  Stop obsessing and go work on a PS or something.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 04:05:29 PM »
If he spelled your name correctly in the very beginning, then obviously the misspelling is a typo.  You aren't going to be rejected for a professor's typo.  Stop obsessing and go work on a PS or something.

this is the point that I was trying to make ... I don't think an addendum is all that hot of an idea though  ;) since it is suppose to be disclosed.

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 10:15:18 PM »

this is the point that I was trying to make ... I don't think an addendum is all that hot of an idea though  ;) since it is suppose to be disclosed.

I was joking, but I got the problem fixed. Luckily he sent it to me before sending it out. Apparantly he wanted me to read through it to make sure there weren't any mistakes.