Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: supreme court on teenager executions  (Read 1531 times)

jgomez

supreme court on teenager executions
« on: October 13, 2004, 02:36:49 PM »
So what would you vote if you sat on the high court and had to decide whether teenagers on death row should get the chair?

I vote nay. 

buster

Re: supreme court on teenager executions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 02:37:51 PM »
nay

of course, I would vote nay on the death penalty in general, so...

So what would you vote if you sat on the high court and had to decide whether teenagers on death row should get the chair?

I vote nay. 

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:40:53 PM »
I agree with buster

jgomez

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:43:14 PM »
why in general?  what do you do with all the murderers, etc?  We don't have room.  They are sort of like garbage, the land fills are too full, and we just don't have space.  We need to burn the trash.

nay

of course, I would vote nay on the death penalty in general, so...

I vote nay. 

buster

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:45:24 PM »
We have plenty of room if we stop locking people up for substantial terms on small-scale, non-violent drug offenses and get rid of draconian sentencing guidelines.

why in general?  what do you do with all the murderers, etc?  We don't have room.  They are sort of like garbage, the land fills are too full, and we just don't have space.  We need to burn the trash.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 02:49:55 PM »
I too vote nay for the death penalty in general.  I believe it's an inappropriate use of the state's power.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:52:45 PM »
This is also ridiculous if you look at the percentage of people who are executed within the whole prison population.  In 2002, 71 people were executed, but somewhere around 2million were in prison.  Even if you halve that for short sentencers, you still have a miniscule percentage.  Another argument is necessary

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 03:14:48 PM »
We have plenty of room if we stop locking people up for substantial terms on small-scale, non-violent drug offenses and get rid of draconian sentencing guidelines.

I agree with this, although I'm torn on the death penalty issue. How doe someone like this http://crime.about.com/od/current/p/runnion.htm not forfeit his right to live? The only possible reason I would want him sent to prison is so the rest of his life can be a living hell.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 03:19:17 PM »
Personally, I have no problem frying the scum and think we should accelerate the process.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 03:21:35 PM »
Hmmm, so people in prison got it made, such as Pete Rose, with giant big screen tv.  Inmates get to watch HBO.  Rarely will prison life will be hellish, unless it's in a maximum security prison, in which possiblility of getting rape is HIGH. 

Most inmates serve their time in minimu, to medium level security detention.  Oh, yeah, and they have free access to legal libraries, in which get get to sue the state over every little issue, such as not providing salt for my food. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.