Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement Dilemma  (Read 764 times)

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.9/165
    • View Profile
Personal Statement Dilemma
« on: October 13, 2004, 01:52:58 PM »
      So i showed one of my professors my personal statement and he said it was perfect and ready to go, he is also the pre-law advisor at my school, so I figure he knows what he is talking about. But, since I am overly cautious, I showed it to another professor, and she said I totally need to change the format and do it over, because she prefers a more straightforward approach "i feel i am ready to go to law school because of blah, blah, blah, certain classes, internships, research" and the listing of all that, while my original one focused on two experiences I have had and how they inspired me to study law. I don't know what to do now, and I really want to avoid putting my resume in paragraph form.
PLease help me with some advice!
Loyola Public Interest Scholar '05!

foxnewssucks

Re: Personal Statement Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »
you are going to get varying opinions from various people not matter how good or bad the PS actually is.  You might want to show it to a couple more people or perhaps look at some examples in PS books and see how your statement measures up. Personally, I think the straight forward approach is weak, unless they specifically ask for the PS to be structured in such a way.

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 01:58:15 PM »
Second Franz's statement...I would edit my dissertation, send it to my advisor, he'd fix something, I'd send it to my co-advisor, he'd then tell me how awful the part my advisor fixed was etc...

Pre-law advisor is prob. more reliable source, but you'll eventually have to make the call yourself.

buster

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:11:17 PM »
third

...Personally, I think the straight forward approach is weak, unless they specifically ask for the PS to be structured in such a way.

murpheys_law

• midwesterner ready for the coast
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:32:37 PM »
With all ther research I've done, they do NOT want you to put your resume on the PS.  They don't want you mentioning anything that they can find somewhere else.  Please listen to the first guy.  They don't want to read your resume.  That's why you have a resume, and if you don't, you need to include one.
GPA:  3.72
LSAT: TBA

maricutie

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 05:20:49 PM »
Yeah, a personal statement is just that -- NOT a resume. I mean, mentioning a thing or two and going into depth about why that particular job/experience/post influenced your decision, but you should NOT provide a list of what you've done. Include a resume, they WILL read it. If you'd like me to look it over (I'm a rhetoric major, yo), feel free to send it my way.