Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do you think people should be able to change their usernames on this board?

Yes
 36 (50.7%)
No
 35 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Should changing one's username be allowed?  (Read 19881 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Re: Should changing one's username be allowed?
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2004, 05:23:00 AM »
Haha, I see buster has taken Pookie's avatar/photo.  Is there a way to disable that?

No.  Computers are still really bad at recognizing images.  There's no way for the software to know that it's the same or similar picture.

Andrew, I don't know squat about programming but I do know you can keep people from rt clicking and saving a pic from a webpage.  I've seen it done on many sites.  I just don't know how they do it, or if this site (whatever it's programmed in) can do it.  If you go to www.udate.com, just browse some photos, you won't be able to save them.  Maybe you can see what they did on the "view source."  It probably is hidden there though. 

I just wanted to say it can be done, I have no ida how.  Helfful huh?   :(

P.S. Don't buy anything, I know nothing about udate nor care.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2004, 05:38:35 AM »
Maybe you could create a sub-forum or a chart of some sort, where all name changes will be automatically reported.. old name, new name, time & date, # of posts

That way the people who are having innocent fun, can still have fun, and people who are annoying people won't be able to do so any longer

That said.. what's to stop people from just making new accounts?  The # of posts?

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2004, 10:45:01 PM »
Haha, I see buster has taken Pookie's avatar/photo.  Is there a way to disable that?

No.  Computers are still really bad at recognizing images.  There's no way for the software to know that it's the same or similar picture.

Andrew, I don't know squat about programming but I do know you can keep people from rt clicking and saving a pic from a webpage.  I've seen it done on many sites.  I just don't know how they do it, or if this site (whatever it's programmed in) can do it.  If you go to www.udate.com, just browse some photos, you won't be able to save them.  Maybe you can see what they did on the "view source."  It probably is hidden there though. 

I just wanted to say it can be done, I have no ida how.  Helfful huh?   :(

P.S. Don't buy anything, I know nothing about udate nor care.

Hmmm.  I forgot about screen snapshots.  Well, at least the picture theft can be minimized because I know some people don't know how to do a screen capture.   ???
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2004, 10:26:20 AM »
I don't know about all this.  I'm starting to think name and avatar changing is just fine.  What we really need is a way to select whether to see real names or changed names - that way all the new people could use original names but the regulars could still enjoy the changed names.  I might suggest that to the software developers rather than trying to work it out myself.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2006, 02:11:13 PM »
man that burns my biscuits.

i decide a certian jack a55 isnt worth talking too, so i ignore them, then they go change thier name and i end up giving them another chance that they dont deserve!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

dunson6

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2006, 02:17:24 PM »
When I see these monikers and still think of them as teh board regulars, I know I've been here too long. 

I wish you could only create one account and stick with the name.  It would have made it less insane for me.  Or something.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2006, 03:59:31 AM »
Username changing is way too much fun.  We need Stan to fully explore the possibilities.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2006, 04:06:00 AM »
I am The Canadian formerly known as Sim
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2006, 04:21:58 AM »
As a n00b, the username changing is damn confusing.  No other forum I have posted on has this feature, but on most you can request a username change and mod can do it for you.  That's easy enough and the privilege is less likely to be abused that way.
The power... :o

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2006, 04:00:03 PM »
grrrrrrrrrrr

i also hate it when they create new id's!!!!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?