Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do you think people should be able to change their usernames on this board?

Yes
 36 (50.7%)
No
 35 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Should changing one's username be allowed?  (Read 19790 times)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Should changing one's username be allowed?
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:35:11 PM »
A lot of people have suggested that I disable the option of changing one's username.  I'm leaning towards doing it.  You can already change your avatar, and by changing your name you can almost assume a completly new identity.  A lot of people are annoyed by this.  On the other hand, a lot of people are having fun with it.

This thread is your chance to weigh in on the issue.  I won't disable the option without giving everyone warning so you can pick your permanent name.

buster

Re: Should changing one's username be allowed?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:37:25 PM »
Can you just disable Cho's ability to change his?  ;)

A lot of people have suggested that I disable the option of changing one's username.  I'm leaning towards doing it.  You can already change your avatar, and by changing your name you can almost assume a completly new identity.  A lot of people are annoyed by this.  On the other hand, a lot of people are having fun with it.

This thread is your chance to weigh in on the issue.  I won't disable the option without giving everyone warning so you can pick your permanent name.

DESI

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:52:35 PM »
changing the username is ok.  i've done it myself.  plus, if you disable it, what will prevent trolls from creating new accounts?  i can only think of one person who abused this and stole other people's usernames in the last few weeks, but then again, he only has half a brain

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 01:11:04 PM »
It's not to prevent trolls, it's just to make everyone a little more accountable and ease the confusion that newer people tend to have.  You can always create a new identity through a new account (I don't see anything wrong with that).

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 01:19:17 PM »
changing the username is ok.  i've done it myself.  plus, if you disable it, what will prevent trolls from creating new accounts?  i can only think of one person who abused this and stole other people's usernames in the last few weeks, but then again, he only has half a brain

I second this.  Or at least, I believe that things should be kept as they are--afterall, the original login name is still visible on the profile.  And all of a user's previous posts display the user's current name, so I don't see how changing one's displayed name causes any serious confusion.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:03:48 PM »
It's not to prevent trolls, it's just to make everyone a little more accountable and ease the confusion that newer people tend to have.  You can always create a new identity through a new account (I don't see anything wrong with that).

i agree with you Andrew.  I think that Username should be fixed. 

M2

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 02:06:24 AM »
NOO changing one's name  makes things much more interesting

Plus...all you have to do is click on the name and it tells who the person is...

not that hard to do...

i see no reason to restrict people...

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 03:11:44 AM »
am i the only retard that actually gets more confused when people change their avatars?  i associated everyone with their pictures before, so i'd get totally confused and not make connections when people changed theirs all the time.  it took me a long time to actually learn names.

i enjoy cho changing his name; it always has something to do with cho, and it's just creative.  i don't know which way to vote.  this is actually a harder choice than who to vote for for president (for me, because the choice was obvious).
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

buster

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 10:20:16 AM »
I find that sort of confusing too.

am i the only retard that actually gets more confused when people change their avatars?  i associated everyone with their pictures before, so i'd get totally confused and not make connections when people changed theirs all the time.  it took me a long time to actually learn names.

newy

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 10:23:30 AM »
What if you let them change their name, but they have to keep one base word and they can add words in front of it?  Like username Mad Libs. 

I think everyone changing their name completely is really confusing because I never bother to check who the person really is.