Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cheeks - need help  (Read 672 times)

McBeer

• View Profile
Cheeks - need help
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:31:16 PM »
Hey,

I remember chatting with you a little bit earlier about the difficulties of applying to US schools and hassles with LSDAS. I was wondering if you could give me a brief outline of the things I might need to send to them and approximate processing time? It turns out my school is in fact LSDAS approved, so I'm going to need to send them all my crap pretty soon. I'd really like to send them my transcripts after this semester as I think I will be able to raise my GPA.

Can you shed any light on any of this for me?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cheeks - need help
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:37:48 PM »
sure ... so you need to send them:

- transcripts (processing time 2-3 weeks + 1 week mailing because you can't fedex)
- Letters of Recommendation (2-3 weeks processing)

then, it depends on how you were planning on applying to schools.  I think you should send your transcripts asap ... have them processed, and then send them an updated copy after this semester.  If you don't want to apply until this semester is done, just don't apply.  But send your transcripts in as soon as possible.

how were you gong to apply?  to the schools directly? or through LSDAS?

McBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:49:22 PM »
sure ... so you need to send them:

- transcripts (processing time 2-3 weeks + 1 week mailing because you can't fedex)
- Letters of Recommendation (2-3 weeks processing)

then, it depends on how you were planning on applying to schools.  I think you should send your transcripts asap ... have them processed, and then send them an updated copy after this semester.  If you don't want to apply until this semester is done, just don't apply.  But send your transcripts in as soon as possible.

how were you gong to apply?  to the schools directly? or through LSDAS?

I was going to apply to the schools directly because one of the admissions people at Boston University told me that some Canadian schools aren't LSDAS approved. I won't be able to apply until after this semester anyways because I will be writing the December LSAT and my mark won't be released until Jan. 4. Do you think it would be a good idea to just process my transcripts right now anyways? I would imagine my final marks for this semester will be available sometime shortly before Christmas, I'm just worried about how long they might take to get processed.

As for my LORs, I have profs all lined up to write them, they just need to know where to send them. I suppose I could just ask them to get on it ASAP and mail them directly to LSDAS so they will be processed and ready to roll when the time comes to apply.

Does this make sense to you?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:19:24 PM »
yeah, it sounded good.

i would sent the transcripts to LSDAS right away.  Just in case ...plus, the updating part doesn't take that long, it's the initial part that takes a bit of time.  And, if they make a mistake, you'll have time to go over it and have anythign corrected.

Get the profs to write them now.  Even if you tell them now, i bet it'll take them at least 2 weeks to write it.  And I would send those to LSAC as well.  Your other option is have the profs send out the letters to individual schools, but i think sending them to LSAC will be much easier.

You know, you can even apply to schools before you get your LSAT score...they will just put a hold on your file until it's complete.  Also, write your PS and any other additional essays that will need to be writen for the schools you're applying to.  And dean's forms ... have your dean fill them out asap.

I think it's best to get on these things as soon as possible.  I found that I always thought I had a lot of time...and then next thing i knew, it was past my deadline.  Try and get everything finished, (applications, essays, LOR's, Transcripts, dean's certifications) and then just wait for your LSAT score. 

Applying through the school's websites will actually make the process a bit quicker.  The ones I did like that, i found to be much easier and less time consuming.