Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to apply for a job...  (Read 2712 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
When to apply for a job...
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:51:12 AM »
So this summer, I want to actually get a "good" job.  I"ve worked for TD for the past 3 years, but i'm ready to move on.

The thing is, its always been there for me, so i've never had to look for a job really.

When should I start looking/applying?  making phone calls?  Some people in my classes are actually having interviews right now!

My plan is to look for a job, so that if I don't get into a law school, I have somethign that i can live with  ;)

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When to apply for a job...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:08:10 PM »
So this summer, I want to actually get a "good" job.  I"ve worked for TD for the past 3 years, but i'm ready to move on.

The thing is, its always been there for me, so i've never had to look for a job really.

When should I start looking/applying?  making phone calls?  Some people in my classes are actually having interviews right now!

My plan is to look for a job, so that if I don't get into a law school, I have somethign that i can live with  ;)

I'm in your shoes, especially since I finish in December  :o

I'd say better start sooner than later. 
No longer here.

Gelli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 10:57:06 PM »
Most major companies look to hire new graduates around this time. Check out your career centre. I know UofT's Career Centre has a really large job database. Or another good idea is to visit the website of a company you want to work for. They usually have a "new graduate" section for you to apply.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:40:15 PM »
interesting ...

but do you think starting to look around Nov. 5th is too late?  That's when my midterms are finished and I really won't have time until then.

How about interviewing?  I have a few interviews lined up and I just have to call and request them.  When do you think i should do that?

kerisd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 09:49:49 PM »

I don't think you need to worry about not getting into law school cheeks. of course, it's always a good idea to have a safety net..
what's your major cheeks?
and you caecilius?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 11:56:15 PM »
i spent 3 years in engineering, then switched to economics.

I'm actually going to call companies starting next week.  Try and set up those interviews.

kerisd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 04:50:46 PM »
good luck cheeks~
So you're an economist are you?
Of course, as a business student I had to take many econ courses as prerequisites
didn't end up taking econometrics though I kind of regret it now..

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 05:04:48 PM »
I'm in economics but i don't know about being an economist.

Econometrics really sucks but what sucks more is the corporate finance course that I'm taking right now.  It's super theoretical and it's driving me crazy.  Midterm on tuesday too! ack!

kerisd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 05:16:02 PM »

Econometrics really sucks but what sucks more is the corporate finance course that I'm taking right now.  It's super theoretical and it's driving me crazy.  Midterm on tuesday too! ack!

Really? I actually didn't mind the finance courses.. esp corporate finance which was one of my favorites.. sorry  :D
You know what really really sucked? It was the stupid Investments course... so dry..
And I thought I was going to die in my Derivative Securities classes

AaronJ

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 05:19:20 PM »

Really? I actually didn't mind the finance courses.. esp corporate finance which was one of my favorites.. sorry  :D
You know what really really sucked? It was the stupid Investments course... so dry..
And I thought I was going to die in my Derivative Securities classes

Keris, did you study economics at SFU?  I almost went there myself and in many of my courses I borrowed materials from prof. websites at SFU.

Great school from what I understand.