Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT PREP  (Read 1112 times)

Gelli

• View Profile
LSAT PREP
« on: October 13, 2004, 01:24:47 AM »
Anyone have any 'Canadian' suggestions on how to prepare for the LSAT? I took Richardson's Prep courses here and found it to be useless! I'm also reading something about a "Powersource" LR bible by some Americans who have posted. Any suggestions?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT PREP
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 11:34:38 AM »
I went to the library and got every 'lsat prep book' they had, and read them cover to cover before i did anything else.  Then I bought about 30 prep. tests and did one every other day for about 4 weeks.  On the days off, I would just do sections or whatever...

Make you when you practice, you actually go over the tests.  You'll find that if you just do tests, you won't improve.  You have to learn why you're getting certain questions wrong and then improve on your weaknesses. 

I studyied around 6 weeks for mine, but wished that i had studied longer.  Plus, I think that being Canadian, you're at a disadvantage because you haven't had experience with standardized tests.  The LSAT was my first stand. test and a lot of things caught me off guard.  Just try and prepare the best you can....

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »
Cheeks, you're hardcore, man!

I took ten preps and read two and a half prep books, studying about 1 to 2 hours a day on top of doing a preptest about every 2nd day for three and a half weeks, taking a small break in the last week.  I suggest you don't do the same.  My biggest mistake, I would say, was spending too little time on the actual studying.  Preps teach you a great deal, but I refused, for example, to have the Logic Games Bible help me.  I'm only really starting to get it now, after the fact (yes, I took a few games after the LSAT, so what?).
No longer here.

JD

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 12:50:11 AM »

McBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 11:41:05 AM »
Gelli,

I bought both the Powerscore LGB and LRB and they're really useful.  The LRB is huge!  Unfortunately, you can only order the LRB direct from Powerscore but beware, there is a $48 Canada customs charge on top of what you pay for it.  The book ended up costing about $130 Cdn total (double the list price)!!!

Are you in the Toronto area?  I never heard of Richardson's but noticed that they had classes at U of T.  If you are in Toronto, they do have Powerscore classes...I just started my class tonight.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.  Hopefully, all the LSAT prep will get me the score I need because of a low GPA.  U of T sucks!! :)

Seriously? I ordered the LRB and LGB from PowerScore at the beginning of September and it cost me under $150 altogether.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:39:04 PM »
depends too on when you order.  These companies suck and charge you more if you order around 'LSAT time'.  Buy in march and its cheeper (at least that's how it is with chapters).

Same thing for actually LSATs.  At Chapters, test 43 was like $70 and test 39 was like $15. 

Gelli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 01:03:42 AM »
Gelli,

I bought both the Powerscore LGB and LRB and they're really useful.  The LRB is huge!  Unfortunately, you can only order the LRB direct from Powerscore but beware, there is a $48 Canada customs charge on top of what you pay for it.  The book ended up costing about $130 Cdn total (double the list price)!!!

Are you in the Toronto area?  I never heard of Richardson's but noticed that they had classes at U of T.  If you are in Toronto, they do have Powerscore classes...I just started my class tonight.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.  Hopefully, all the LSAT prep will get me the score I need because of a low GPA.  U of T sucks!! :)

Hi JD,

Where can I find more information about Powerscore classes in Toronto? I'm in the same boat as you, low GPA but trying to get a kick ass LSAT score! :)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 09:22:50 AM »
obviously i'm not jd :D, but do you still go to school?  If so, Powerscore will have flyers posted all around your university.  Just look for one.  Or go to powerscore's website ;)

JD

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 02:58:55 PM »