Deciding Where to Go > Where should I go next fall?

Best schools for IP?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Pun:
Eh, Andrew, I am aware that you attend an excellent school for studying Intellectual property. I have a science background but I was under the impression that most patent attorney had at least a Masters or PHD's in science. Further, I heard the patent bar is very tough it's failure rate is high.  

dogtown:
Pun,

You definately do not need a postgrad science degree to sit for the patent bar.  I think a lot of people do have them, but not the majority.  A lot of people end up getting a technical masters because they have an undergrad that does not qualify them to sit for the patent bar.  My law school offers a one year computer science masters for just such people.  A BS degree is enough though.

Its true that the patent bar typically does have a very low passing rate - between 17 and 40 percent!  However, this last exams numbers were much higher, something like 63 percent.  

This high number is very unusual.  Apparently they needed to admit a lot of people fast.  I would not be suprised if next time the rate drops way back down.  Either that or the rate will stay high again and then drop down.  I therefore think it would be smart to take the exam as soon as possible, because the high number is bound to come back down.

kundun:
Franklin Pierce has a strong IP program

Andrew:
Pun - never noticed your reply until today - when I said that the bar was lower I didn't mean the actual BAR - I meant the standards for getting a big-firm job.  I can see how my post is misleading.

I don't know anything about the patent bar exam except that you need the science or engineering degree.  (I don't have one.)  What I do know is that I have a lot of friends that got great jobs at patent attorney's based on their undergrad degrees and average grades.  It was much easier for them than for eveyone else.

texasjd:
OK, so how about an MBA in Information Systems with 4+ years of IT (mainly IT support in international law firms).  I am pursuing litigation support/computer forensics, and I strongly believe that an MBA, JD and IT experience will help.  Given these goals, which schools do you recommend?  Contructive criticism is welcomed!! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version