Law School Discussion

Rec

A_guy

• View Profile
Re: I Got Scammed by a Professor!
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2004, 01:50:19 PM »
I would have to disagree.  Ii seems very clear.  The letter is confidential in regards to the LSDAS and its handling of it.  You can not get the letter from them.  However, if you read further it says you can have access to the letter is you...

1.  don't waive your rights
2.  your scholl keeps them on file
3.  u are admitted to and enroll in that school.

but honestly, if u got into the school do u really care about the LOR at that point?

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2004, 02:05:12 PM »
True, but what you waive are your rights under some act.  I am not familiar with these rights.  But can't you say that the school at their discretion can still grant you the rights.  The difference is you are not obligated, but still allowed.  The concern would be a lack of character by looking at the letter.  I don't think this is compromised in the case the letter is offered for your viewing.

But again, I think that their intentions are to have the applicants to remain unaware of the LOR's content.  And also as you said, who cares as long as your in a school you are going to enjoy.

lexylit

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2004, 02:30:15 PM »
THERE IS NO f-ing AMBIGUITY

i give up

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2004, 02:39:44 PM »
Are you kidding?  Waive your "right".  I don't even know what this right is that I have.  And know that the right has been waived you are saying that I am in the wrong if someone hands me a piece of paper and I read it.  By signing that paper, you have no right to see what is written about you.  But in the case of being presented with the letter, the recommender can relinquish his confidentiality right, too. 

inthesun

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »
I called LSAC the other day (after my earlier post...page  2 I think), and they said that if you waive your right and your prof still decides to show it to you, you are breaking no rules.  Lexy, jg and pookie are right.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2004, 08:02:32 PM »
Under FERPA, you are entitled access to your educational records, which include your letters of recommendation.  The waiving of that right allows the professor to send it directly to LSAC without giving you the opportunity to see it.  There is absolutely no prohibition from allowing you to see the letter.

Interestingly, Berkeley does not require you to waive your right if you're not using LSAC.

I can come up with citations for all of this if people need proof.  just ask

superiorlobe

Re: Scammed by a Professor
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2004, 11:21:04 PM »
Anyone else get scammed by a Professor? My Professor made me believe he would spend more than 5 minutes on my LOR. He already sent it into LSAC. Then he sent me a copy. When I read it, he made it look like he barely knew me. I knew him well for 2 years/3 classes. Am I out of line to approach him to redo it? He sent it in 1 week ago.

That's weird.  Your prof should know that you are not permitted to view your letter of recomendation under any circumstance.  You signed away that right when you handed him the form.

Nope.  Although you signed away your right, you may still view the letter if the prof shows it to you.  Signing away your right just means you can't insist on seeing it.

superiorlobe

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2004, 11:25:51 PM »
wow, just read the rest of this thread and realized that the point in my last post had already been discussed at great and laborious length.  I'm leaving it up nevertheless.

DESI

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2004, 01:42:22 AM »
i didn't read the whole thread, just page 1 and 3 so ...

OP:  The damage is done.  Get another LOR ASAP.

Send your recommender a thank-you note for his time despite the fact that he scammed you.

HTH

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »
did you request to see the LOR before your prof mailed it in?? because if so, then that could have something to do with the crappy letter...it seems like if you ask your profs to see the letters it either makes them think that you dont trust their letter (sorta insulting) or that you are forcing them into a corner (writing something great)--and i think profs hate both of those options...i just asked my profs with a big grin on their faces..they seemed eager to recommend me, but if they had shown ANY disinterest, i wouldve said nothanks and walked away.