Law School Discussion

Rec

AaronJ

Re: I Got Scammed by a Professor!
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 11:23:43 PM »
I'm interested in the interpretation of the "waive the right to see" debate.  From what I have been told (and read on this board), waiving the right to see your letter does NOT mean that you can't see it.  You waive the right to see it so the law schools feel that the recommender is being candid with them.  If the recommender chooses to show it to you after you waived the right to see it, that is their choice and not yours.  You have broken no rules...  If it is TRUE that you can not see the letter after signing the waiver if the recommender chooses to show it to you, can you site where you found this information?  I am not trying to start a fight, but I do have a recommender who is eager to show the letter to me.  I want to do everything by the book.  Thanks!    

My understanding is they too are bound not to divulge it.  The easiest way to verify would be just to call LSAC tomorrow.

jg049457

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2004, 10:24:54 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a prof showing you his LOR of his own free will. The argument here, I think is in the semantics. By giving up your "right" to see the letter you are not giving up the "privilege" of seeing the letter. The difference is that no one is obligated to allow you to see it. If that makes sense.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2004, 10:32:34 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a prof showing you his LOR of his own free will. The argument here, I think is in the semantics. By giving up your "right" to see the letter you are not giving up the "privilege" of seeing the letter. The difference is that no one is obligated to allow you to see it. If that makes sense.

that makes sense, and i agree.  you're talking about the difference between not having a right to do something and not being allowed to do it.  i, too, think those are different things.  one of my professors offered to send me the LOR before she sends it so i can comment on it.  i explicitly noted in my cover letter to my recommendors that i waived my right to see the letter, so i don't know if she'll still show it to me, but if she does, i don't think that's a bad thing.

SMarie

• age 32, 2.94 UGPA, LSAT 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2004, 10:53:29 AM »
Where's the letter?  He took it off?  Damn, I wanted to read it.

lexylit

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004, 11:55:31 AM »

exactly. well put.

when you waive the right to see it, you're no longer in the position to say "i have a right to see this letter, and so i demand to see it!" if it isn't waived, then that's your right.

if it is waived, it might not be your right to demand it, but you certainly may still see it if youre shown it.

AaronJ

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »
Already acting like lawyers.  Sheesh ::)

Again, I suggest calling LSAC for verification.

lexylit

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2004, 12:26:07 PM »
Already acting like lawyers.  Sheesh ::)

Again, I suggest calling LSAC for verification.

seriously? most of what i post on here i acknowledge is just my opinion, but this one's fact.

newy

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2004, 01:12:55 PM »
I think it's okay to base our actions on the info that LSAC makes available.  We shouldn't be required to call LSAC to check everytime something is unclear. 

A_guy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »
just some info on waiving ur right to view ur LOR.  If u sign that form u give up ur right to see the letter and can't ever see it..  if u don't, u can see the letter if u r accepted to and attend the school that has it.

i have been lucky b/c i have been able to see all my letters.  I had such a good relationship with the writers that they wanted to make sure i was satisfied with their letters.  ironically, i was never worried about a bad LOR b/c i picked my professors wisely and had full confidence in them.  why?  becaus i had a great relationship with them.

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2004, 01:38:06 PM »
I agree that this is LSAC's intentions, but the statement could be perceived differently.  The paragraph preceding the statement explicitly says the recommendation is to remain confidential.  Although by saying you are waiving your rights does not mean your rights can't be handed to you.

For example, one can waive their rights to a speedy trial, but if a speedy trial is given it is not invalid.  A bit of ambiguity exists.  And I think it is up for interpretation.