Rec

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I Got Scammed by a Professor!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 11:00:11 PM »
aaron, i was going to quote too, so that even if the OP deleted the post, it'd still be there :)  very clever, we are.  (yes, i speak like yoda when i have the yoda trophy.)

the letter isn't BAD, it's not just great.  if you're really desperate, maybe you can still use it.  but obviously your best option is to find others and ask them directly to write a detailed letter.  depending on how well you know the next person you ask, maybe you can also explain the situation so that they know what you need better.  they may even offer to show you the letter before sending it, as one of my recommenders has done for me.

AaronJ

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 11:04:05 PM »
aaron, i was going to quote too, so that even if the OP deleted the post, it'd still be there :)  very clever, we are.  (yes, i speak like yoda when i have the yoda trophy.)

the letter isn't BAD, it's not just great.  if you're really desperate, maybe you can still use it.  but obviously your best option is to find others and ask them directly to write a detailed letter.  depending on how well you know the next person you ask, maybe you can also explain the situation so that they know what you need better.  they may even offer to show you the letter before sending it, as one of my recommenders has done for me.

I cant see the problem with it.  Ad comms spend endless hours reading those things and this one pretty much cuts to the chase and says what a smart and capable person he is.  Wasting our time and benevolent willingness to help, however, does not.

AaronJ

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 11:06:30 PM »
I will under the condition that in the future you make request of a nature worthy of peoples input and concern.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 11:07:10 PM »
what i don't like about it is that it's a big list of adjectives without giving examples of instances in which newguy showed he had those qualities/characteristics.

i agree that adcomms are going to read tons of them, but at the same time, imagine that you have two files in front of you.  newguy's letter is in one, and the other file has a much more detailed letter.  it's not necessarily the student's fault, but wouldn't you be prejudiced towards the one whose professor seemed to have more meaningful things to say about the student than just living some positive attributes?

AaronJ

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 11:09:23 PM »
what i don't like about it is that it's a big list of adjectives without giving examples of instances in which newguy showed he had those qualities/characteristics.

i agree that adcomms are going to read tons of them, but at the same time, imagine that you have two files in front of you.  newguy's letter is in one, and the other file has a much more detailed letter.  it's not necessarily the student's fault, but wouldn't you be prejudiced towards the one whose professor seemed to have more meaningful things to say about the student than just living some positive attributes?

I could see that but I dont understand why he isnt capable of making this decision on his own.  I was expecting something really bad.  The way he set it up made it sound like it had an almost negative tone.

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 11:11:57 PM »
TD I think is right... not an example at all of what made you a good student... what stood out to that particular professor to make you shine brighter than the rest.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 11:12:16 PM »
(aaron) eh, i can't be too hard on him for that.  this board is about getting answers.  there are a lot more meaningless questions here, like "what font should i use?"; at least this one is of more significance than a debate about times new roman vs. courier.

AaronJ

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 11:15:23 PM »
Only the heart of a woman can sway the beast.

inthesun

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 11:20:46 PM »
I'm interested in the interpretation of the "waive the right to see" debate.  From what I have been told (and read on this board), waiving the right to see your letter does NOT mean that you can't see it.  You waive the right to see it so the law schools feel that the recommender is being candid with them.  If the recommender chooses to show it to you after you waived the right to see it, that is their choice and not yours.  You have broken no rules...  If it is TRUE that you can not see the letter after signing the waiver if the recommender chooses to show it to you, can you site where you found this information?  I am not trying to start a fight, but I do have a recommender who is eager to show the letter to me.  I want to do everything by the book.  Thanks!    

inthesun

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 11:22:28 PM »
from last post...continued...

Another question...wouldn't writing your own rec letter for a professor be just as dishonest, if not more so?  I was also asked to do that, but decided to choose another recommender.