Law School Discussion

Rec

AaronJ

Re: Scammed by a Professor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 09:57:56 PM »
Good news regardless.  I just found out on the LSAC website that you can direct letters to schools as you desire.  This means you can choose not to have that letter sent at all.  I'd look into getting another one written.

dr_draino

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 09:58:19 PM »
I'd just not use that LOR...if the guy sent you a copy he either 1) thought it was good and probably won't take too kindly to a student telling him it actually sucks ass or 2) new it sucked-ass and was enough of a jerk to think this was a better way to let you know what he thought of you rather than tell you directly.  I'd guess it's probably #1, in which case, he's just a crappy writer and his second one probably won't be much better.  That sucks.

TheDecline

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 09:58:50 PM »
I am not saying it is anyone's fault, except the prof perhaps. The people at LSAC where very clear about this when I spoke to them. In addition, one of my profs who has written a few letters before told me wholly unsoliited that this was the case.

You can see the conflict of interest LSAC wants to avoid. If there is a chance that you will see the letter the letter writer has incentive to not be fully candid in their assesment of you. Few profs want people coming up to them going "why the hell did you say that".

I dont know maybe I'm wrong but it seems logical and this is what I was told.

I actually agree with you.  The conflict of interest is apparent if the writer is writing it knowing the student will see it.  I was just saying that if a prof sends you one on their own accord, I don't see a problem with it.  I've actually seen some of my letters, not because I asked to see them, but because they sent me a copy unexpectedly.

AaronJ

Re: I Got Scammed by a Professor!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 10:33:21 PM »
It would cool if you posted it.  Dont do it if you feel it is too personal.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 10:36:31 PM »

i think that's the whole problem: that it's NOT personal.  ;)

AaronJ

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 10:38:31 PM »

I am refering to the fact that it was not as favorable toward him as he had wished.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 10:41:48 PM »

I am refering to the fact that it was not as favorable toward him as he had wished.

i thought it was just impersonal, not necessarily unfavorable, except to the extent that impersonal is unfavorable?

anyway, i was just joking in that last post.

are you going to post it, newguy?

AaronJ

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 10:47:37 PM »
Not snaping back Pookie.  :)

AaronJ

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »
It was tails. I will post it in 3 minutes and counting. It will disapper in 5 minutes though.

No one will be able to help you if you do that.

AaronJ

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 10:57:22 PM »

X RATED

I recommend him with great enthusiasm and confidence that he will succeed in law school.

I hope this is a typing error made by you and not your prof.

That aside, I have come to the conclusion that this has been a huge waste of time.