Law School Discussion

Rec

Rec
« on: October 12, 2004, 09:33:48 PM »
How many recommendations is everyone else getting?   

AaronJ

Re: Scammed by a Professor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:36:00 PM »
Anyone else get scammed by a Professor? My Professor made me believe he would spend more than 5 minutes on my LOR. He already sent it into LSAC. Then he sent me a copy. When I read it, he made it look like he barely knew me. I knew him well for 2 years/3 classes. Am I out of line to approach him to redo it? He sent it in 1 week ago.

That's weird.  Your prof should know that you are not permitted to view your letter of recomendation under any circumstance.  You signed away that right when you handed him the form.

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 09:39:01 PM »
Can't you canceal that LOR? 

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:39:50 PM »
Since when?  The LOR form doesn't say 'don't show the requestor a copy'.

TheDecline

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 09:40:41 PM »
I think the form just means that you can't don't have access to it through LSAC.  I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing a copy.  Right or wrong? 

TheDecline

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:42:51 PM »
To respond to the original question, I don't think you should confront him about it.  You might be able to cancel it through LSAC, but I can't see him responding well to you asking to do it again.

AaronJ

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 09:43:07 PM »
Not true. You can read it under the circumstance that he already sent it in.

No you can not.  Do a little more research into it and you will find out that you are not permitted to view before or after it is written.  This is the exact reason LSAC does not permit it.  They fear that the prof will be more concerned about how you take what they write thus creating a potential for bias.  If you dont believe me call LSAC.

It is true.

TheDecline

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 09:46:19 PM »
The form just says you're waiving your right to view the letter through LSAC.  I don't see the problem.  If he sends you one on his own accord after he mails the original to LSAC, what difference does it make.  Certainly not newguys fault.

AaronJ

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 09:53:55 PM »
I am not saying it is anyone's fault, except the prof perhaps.  The people at LSAC where very clear about this when I spoke to them.  In addition, one of my profs who has written a few letters before told me wholly unsoliited that this was the case.

You can see the conflict of interest LSAC wants to avoid.  If there is a chance that you will see the letter the letter writer has incentive to not be fully candid in their assesment of you.  Few profs want people coming up to them going "why the hell did you say that".

I dont know maybe I'm wrong but it seems logical and this is what I was told.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 09:55:18 PM »
I read the thread title and thought he had talked you out of your panties.