Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops - What are people using out there?  (Read 4116 times)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Laptops - What are people using out there?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2004, 11:39:48 AM »
Mine is an SRX87P.  I think they stopped making it, but they are now making something similar in white.  Toshiba makes a really cool little computer too - the same dimensions as a 1-subject spiral notebook.  I can't remember the name of that one though.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2004, 01:13:26 PM »
Anyone have any opinions on IBM Thinkpad X31/X40/T40/T41?

Specifically, I was wondering if anyone had any caveats between say X31 vs. X40 or T40 vs T41.  I'm hoping to buy one of these sometime this month, but since I haven't been able to try one out, it'd be good to hear some testimony from actual owners. :)

My biggest concern right now is the amount of screen real estate.  I'm probably not going to be bringing my desktop (*sniff*) to school, but I've grown accustomed to running everything on high res (1280 x 1024 on 17").  If I get the T series, it will most likely be with a SXGA (1400 x 1050) 14" lcd screen.  For the X series, there's only the XGA (1024 x 768) 12" lcd screen to choose from.  I do alot of web development stuff so the 12" may feel cramped, but then again, the 14" lcd doesn't sound that much better. =P  If I had my way (and lots of $$$), I'd buy a 17" Powerbook. :)

Any opinions?

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »
You might want to check out tomshardware.com and see what is on there and on epinions.com (do a search on the laptop models).

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2004, 02:28:53 PM »
You might want to check out tomshardware.com and see what is on there and on epinions.com (do a search on the laptop models).

Heh, I wish anandtech would do a review.  Actually they might have... I haven't been there in awhile.  Tomshardware is usually good, but epinions is only slightly better than cnet imo.  Thanks for the advice!

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2004, 11:58:07 PM »
I saw those on Sony's website and thought they looked great!  Assuming I can get one with the right "requirements" (BYU actually has specific MODELS they require! grr...) I am definitely getting one of those.  Too bad my iBook is almost definitely out of the question though...

Mine is an SRX87P.  I think they stopped making it, but they are now making something similar in white.  Toshiba makes a really cool little computer too - the same dimensions as a 1-subject spiral notebook.  I can't remember the name of that one though.