Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have you heard from UCLA, UC Hastings, or USC lately?  (Read 4543 times)

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Have you heard from UCLA, UC Hastings, or USC lately?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 06:10:29 PM »
I sent my application to USC electronically in mid October and the remaining paperwork/$ in the mail by Oct. 31. A few wks later it was complete. I called USC two wks ago and they said that there was no decision yet. On Thurs. March 18th, I called again and they said that there was a decision and that I should be getting it shortly. Well since I haven't received it yet I called back. The admissions office said that they send out their decisions in "batches." This means that if you're the only one admitted in the whole day or even wk, they still won't mail it out until there's enough.

I still haven't received my decision letter and it's driving me crazy. I hope that I get it before they have their admitted students day on April 16th.

By the ways, does anyone know why law school directly call applicants to let them know that they were admitted?

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 06:18:34 PM »
By the ways, does anyone know why law school directly call applicants to let them know that they were admitted?

it's a nice personal touch, in my opinion.  it shows that law school really cares.  a phone call is much more personal and more meaningful than just a letter or just an email.

Goodluck with usc. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 06:58:54 PM »
Boalt notifies through email and calls.

Doc Holliday

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 08:36:57 PM »
I sent my application to USC electronically in mid October and the remaining paperwork/$ in the mail by Oct. 31. A few wks later it was complete. I called USC two wks ago and they said that there was no decision yet. On Thurs. March 18th, I called again and they said that there was a decision and that I should be getting it shortly. Well since I haven't received it yet I called back. The admissions office said that they send out their decisions in "batches." This means that if you're the only one admitted in the whole day or even wk, they still won't mail it out until there's enough.

I still haven't received my decision letter and it's driving me crazy. I hope that I get it before they have their admitted students day on April 16th.

Giraffe--I'm going thru the same thing--what are your numbers and where else are you looking at?

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 09:15:10 PM »
Well, my numbers to be honest suck. I have a 155/3.4. I am an Argentine native and have applied as Hispanic. I guess that makes me a URM. From what I've read I think that they don't even compare URMs w/ the regular applicant pool though so it takes longer usually.

USC is my longshot and first choice. I've been accepted at UNLV w/ full tuition, Villanova Univ. w/ 1/4 tuittion, and Florida State. I've been rejected by Univ. of Miami, Univ. of Florida, and UT-Austin. I'm still waiting on USC, USD, and Univ. of GA.

I am well aware that most of USC applicants have much better numbers than mine, but I decided to give it a shot, b/c if I were given the opportunity I know that it's worth all the hard work. My chances are slim, but I'll let you know what happens.

out of oregon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 12:34:56 AM »
164/3.7, 5 years WE

My apps weren't complete until Jan 31 and Hastings accepted me early March.

No word from UCLA, Berkeley, or Davis.

I only got a card from UCLA, but nada from Boalt or King.  What's the deal?  Just silence or have other people heard anything further?  I tried to find a status check website, but no luck.

Should I go to Emory and be done with it?  I got $60k.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 10:59:02 AM »
That all depends on where you want to practice.  I think that UCLA and Boalt will have more of a national reputation.  However, if you want to stay in the South, Emory is certainly a great choice. 

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 02:01:55 PM »
Like what has said in other threads, UCLA is notoriously known for sending their responses very, very, VERY late in the game.  Some even hear from UCLA after other schools' first week of class.  I'm sure come the first week of April, there will be another wave of acceptances (or rejections), but I think mostly acceptances.  If you haven't received a rejection, then it must be good news.  The schools have either a: haven't gotten to your application yet or b: waiting to see if they have space for you--or something like that :)  I'm sure it's not that it's not that simple. 

Well, goodluck to you all again! 

It's nice to have this board though.  I like knowing I'm not in this position all by myself.  And unlike the PR boards, there's not as much bitterness here.  :-P 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 03:48:26 PM »
Here's hoping that the delay in my USC decision = an acceptance :)  That would definitely make my decision a LOT easier. ;)

Like what has said in other threads, UCLA is notoriously known for sending their responses very, very, VERY late in the game.  Some even hear from UCLA after other schools' first week of class.  I'm sure come the first week of April, there will be another wave of acceptances (or rejections), but I think mostly acceptances.  If you haven't received a rejection, then it must be good news.  The schools have either a: haven't gotten to your application yet or b: waiting to see if they have space for you--or something like that :)  I'm sure it's not that it's not that simple. 

Well, goodluck to you all again! 

It's nice to have this board though.  I like knowing I'm not in this position all by myself.  And unlike the PR boards, there's not as much bitterness here.  :-P 

Doc Holliday

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 09:44:21 PM »
These three schools are the last three I'm waiting on as well--I've been complete for over 2 months at all three. The wait sucks.